New Headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Headlight

I am looking at putting in a LED Headlight but I'm uncertain what kind of brightness I should be looking for. The one linked below is 550 lumens (30 watt). Is this normal? Too low?

Any suggestions on what I should be shooting for would be great.

First, no link.
    Second, the brightest legal in the US is 65 watts for high beam.

Comment

Sorry, link didn't post the first time.

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=271221057126

On another note. Is there going to be an issue with putting an LED in. Am I going to need to put in a resistor?

Comment

Originally posted by Hakamisu View Post
        On another note. Is there going to be an issue with putting an LED in. Am I going to need to put in a resistor?
        Not if the LED light is meant for 12volts (12 or 13 or 14volts), which it probably is.

THe discussion on needing a resistor if change to LED is related to the turnsignals if still have the stock flasher.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thanks for the link, but I had to do some editing to get it to show me the light in question.

Personally, I don't think that will do what you want it to. The lens/reflector assembly in your headlight is designed to have its light source (the filament in the bulb) in a very particular location. That LED replacement does not accomplish that. Yes, it may have enough light to "fill the reflector", but that does not mean that it will be projected where it needs to be. Add in the fact that it is only 550 lumens (a stock light will be closer to 1100) and you will quickly understand that it is simply not enough.

By the same token, if you get an HID "replacement bulb", it may project a bunch of light out there, but since the light source (the plasma arc) is not quite in the same location as the filament in the stock bulb, it will not be projected where it should. If you get a complete headlight unit that is desinged with the HID module, great, but conversions are not worth it at this time.

If you get an LED that is designed for headlight use, you will need no resistors. The one you are asking about is one that is designed for automotive use, so no resistors are necessary.

If this is going in your '82 850G, you can get one from Truck Lite and it will be "plug and play".

I have two of them in our bikes. Both of them are "L" bikes that have been converted to 7" light buckets, then had the LED headlight installed.

Where to get these lights? Amazon or eBay.

Just be prepared for sticker shock.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X