Removing stator rotor tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing stator rotor tips?

Posted this photo a while back and am now trying to replace that cracked doohickey. But I have to get the stator rotor off and am not sure the easiest way to keep it from just spinning the crank. No air tools here. I tried using a socket on the nut and a crescent on the flat bits just behind the nut...but no dice. Any ideas?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You'll need a puller and someone on the other side holding the crank. There are some threads about it here so do a search; just remember heat will be your friend (I didn't have any when I did mine). I'm not familiar with the size of the puller on your bike nor can I speak about pulling the one you have off. I can tell you in the course of doing mine, I busted the magnets inside the rotor as I accidentally hit it instead of the puller. Fortunately, I already had a spare rotor (mine was already chipped which was why I replaced it).

The link to my thread a few years ago:

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      You'll need a puller and someone on the other side holding the crank.
      My wife kindly lent me a hand with that project!

1979 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        I can tell you in the course of doing mine, I busted the magnets inside the rotor as I accidentally hit it instead of the puller.
        Well, I read through your old post and am now not looking forward to this repair. Seems like a big pain in the ass. One tiny little crack and a days worth of frustration. Hopefully it all goes smoothly.

Comment

You can do it other ways, but to get it done quickly and with least amount of trouble I would strongly recommend using a dedicated puller instead of any other tool to to pry the rotor loose.

They cost roughly $30-$40 and are WELL worth the cost, if only because they cancel out so much frustration.

My own efforts to hold everything in place when trying to loosen it were simple, but not necessarily the best method as they impose a strain on the transmission..

I put the transmission in first gear, placed a 2/4 through the real wheel so it lodged in place and prevented any rotation, which did the same for the flywheel/rotor.

With the puller, it popped off right away, and nothing was damaged.
          "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
          Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
          X