Horn Not Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horn Not Working

Got a Freeway Blaster for the bike. Installed it and it seemed to work well then went for a ride. During the ride it stopped working. Parked it, checked my connections and cleaned the button up. Still didn't work. Tried the old stock horn to see if it worked, nothing. Any thoughts on what to check next. BTW-I've got a good charge on the battery.

thanks!

Did the new horn blow a fuse?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Don't think so, that fuse also runs the brake light and turn signals and they're all working fine.

Comment

Your horn has 2 wires. 1 wire should have 12V when the key is in the ON position. The other wire goes to the button, and when the button is pressed it completes the circuit to ground and the horn sounds.
        Those are the connections to check.

Comment

The green/orange wire is getting 12v when the ignition is turned to the On position. How do I test the other wire (Green wire)?

thanks

Comment

It goes from the horn to the horn button, which IIRC is on the left handlebar control. You can test the horn simply by grounding the second connector. To test the wire itself you will have to disassemble the control and test for continuity (when not connected to the horn) and voltage (when connected to the horn).

Comment

Sorry, how do I test the horn? Do I attach the green/orange (12V wire) to the horn then ground the other horn terminal to the frame?

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by snackie View Post
                Sorry, how do I test the horn? Do I attach the green/orange (12V wire) to the horn then ground the other horn terminal to the frame?

Thanks again.
                Correct. That is what your button does for you when you press it. When it works, of course.

Comment

Well, tested the horn and it works. So, there's something up with the ground wire between the horn button and the connection to the horn. Like I said, I already took the horn button apart and cleaned it. So, I guess i need to do the continuity test. I'll tackle that this weekend.

Thanks for your help and happy holidays.

Comment

B/W Horn Wire

At the horn button, there is also a B/W wire. Could that wire be the culprit or is the Green wire the one to focus on?

Comment

Could be. B/W is the ground. Check it for continuity.

Comment

The question is, where does that B/W wire go?

Comment

All B/W wires on the whole motorcycle are grounds. The B/W should be grounded all the time, and ground the switch when you push the button.

Comment

Can't tell from the wiring diagram where the B/W wire goes from the horn button. Anybody know?

Comment

It should go through the connector where it joins the main harness. Isn't there a B/W wire in that connector?

Comment

Working...
                              X