gs250 starts but no lights or horn.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs250 starts but no lights or horn.

Thanks for your help with the non starting gs250 of mine. i took it to a mechanic and he fiddled with it and got it going. i rode it to kent today, i almost got there but it died on the M2 and so I pushed it into Gillingham. It now spends the night in a supermarket car park. The fuse had burned out. It will start if i join the fuse connectors without a fuse but all the lights are not working, horn is dead but it will start up and run.

Is there one likely connection i should check which has maybe got fried?

I shall go back tomorrow and fix the puncture which i think it got when i was pushing it along and take a fuse.

Originally posted by stillben View Post
    Thanks for your help with the non starting gs250 of mine. i took it to a mechanic and he fiddled with it and got it going. i rode it to kent today, i almost got there but it died on the M2 and so I pushed it into Gillingham. It now spends the night in a supermarket car park. The fuse had burned out. It will start if i join the fuse connectors without a fuse but all the lights are not working, horn is dead but it will start up and run.

Is there one likely connection i should check which has maybe got fried?

I shall go back tomorrow and fix the puncture which i think it got when i was pushing it along and take a fuse.
    Check the wiring in the left hand switch gear (lights/horn/indicators), I don't know how its wired up, but if something fried it's obviously in one of those circuits. Ohh.... get a new fuse.
    Jo

Comment

Sounds like the regulator just fried and burnt out the headlight and poped the fuse.

Or the headlight blew and the regulator took the brunt after that.

Check that your head light isn't burnt out. (or just switch on the high beams for the purpose of the next part)

If it is burnt, replace the fuse first and check the voltage while running and rev it up a bit.

If it goes above 15v your regulator is to blame. Normal would be for it to stop at 13.5v
      Stephen.
      1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
      1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
      Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
      GS twin wiki

Comment

Thanks that is helpful.

Tried putting it on full beam before i left it and nothing came on.

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
          Sounds like the regulator just fried and burnt out the headlight and poped the fuse.

Or the headlight blew and the regulator took the brunt after that.

Check that your head light isn't burnt out. (or just switch on the high beams for the purpose of the next part)

If it is burnt, replace the fuse first and check the voltage while running and rev it up a bit.

If it goes above 15v your regulator is to blame. Normal would be for it to stop at 13.5v
          I agree. Probably too much unregulated electricity blew bulbs and fuses. Hopefully, it didn't damage the ignitor.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Not all that acquainted with that particular model, so I will have to ask, ... is there just the ONE fuse?

Most of the bikes that I work on are larger than 250 and are also '80 or newer (some of the '79-and-older bikes only had one fuse), so they have separate fuses for lights, signals and ignition.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If you have all of the electrical mounted to the air box,make sure the airbox is well grounded to the frame. If you have removed the air box, whatever the electrials are mounted to needs to be grounded. I had very similar problems with my 550 when I removed the airbox.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Only one fuse I know of...

Thanks for all your replies

Comment

Same wiring as the bikes we're used to with one fuse just like the 4xx's

But the Regulator and everything on that plate needed a ground.

page 301
                  Stephen.
                  1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                  1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                  Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                  GS twin wiki

Comment

Thanks very much will check ground from electrical plate

Comment