Electro - light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electro - light

I have an '82 GS1100e with almost 25k. The battery warning light has been on since I bought it three months and 500 miles ago, but there are no symptoms. She starts and runs great, and all lights work fine.

Someone has suggested that my battery just doesn't have the lead for signaling a low electrolyte level, that batteries are no longer made with them.

I have the left side cover off, and even with holding a drop light point blank and wiggling the bike, I can't make out any electrolyte levels.

Has anyone with an '82 or '83 1100e been able to view their battery electrolyte levels just by removing the left side cover?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Several things going on here, so I will just provide answers inside your quoted questions.
    Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
    I have an '82 GS1100e with almost 25k. The battery warning light has been on since I bought it three months and 500 miles ago, but there are no symptoms. She starts and runs great, and all lights work fine.
    The light has nothing to do with charging ability, only the electrolyte level in ONE cell of the battery.

Someone has suggested that my battery just doesn't have the lead for signaling a low electrolyte level, that batteries are no longer made with them.
    That "someone" is ill-informed. Those batteries are still available, but you can get a much better battery for less money, so don't bother looking for one. To turn the light off, find the wire (light blue?) that goes to the battery, re-connect it to a switched wire like the turn signal fuse.

I have the left side cover off, and even with holding a drop light point blank and wiggling the bike, I can't make out any electrolyte levels.
    Sorry, but that is typical of your bike (and its 700/750cc little brother).

Has anyone with an '82 or '83 1100e been able to view their battery electrolyte levels just by removing the left side cover?
    I don't have one, but have worked on a couple. You pretty much have to remove the battery (after removing the airbox) to view the levels.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve

Thanks Steve
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Steve is correct on all points except one: removing the battery is a bit more involved than just removing the airbox. It is a task you will become skilled at, but trust me, you do not want to learn (or do it) until you absolutely have to.

Comment

Working...
        X