New member - starter issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member - starter issues

Hi, all. New member and first time Suzuki owner. I have had a bunch of bikes, mostly Honda but also Yamaha and a Buell. I picked up an 83 GS550 with only 2k on the clock last fall. I'm just now starting to mess with it.

Ok, now for the fun part. I jumped the bike tonight and the dash, lights, horn, etc. all had power. The neutral light was on and I pushed the starter button but it didn't crank. All the fuses are good. I jumped the starter relay and she started to crank. The relay is still available but I'd like to rule out any other causes before I shell out the $80 for a new one. Any ideas on what I should check first? (Bad starter button, kill switches, etc.) If so, please advise on the best way to go about it.

Sounds like your battery is bad if you had to jump it just to get that much. What's the voltage on it at rest and with the key on?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Did you try to start it with the clutch pulled in or the two wires in the headlight connected to eliminate that (clutch) switch?

Comment

I did try it with the clutch pulled in. I didn't try to jump the headlights. I'm not really sure what your referring to. Can you elaborate?

Comment

Originally posted by Bshipe View Post
          Hi, all. New member and first time Suzuki owner. I have had a bunch of bikes, mostly Honda but also Yamaha and a Buell. I picked up an 83 GS550 with only 2k on the clock last fall. I'm just now starting to mess with it.

Ok, now for the fun part. I jumped the bike tonight and the dash, lights, horn, etc. all had power. The neutral light was on and I pushed the starter button but it didn't crank. All the fuses are good. I jumped the starter relay and she started to crank. The relay is still available but I'd like to rule out any other causes before I shell out the $80 for a new one. Any ideas on what I should check first? (Bad starter button, kill switches, etc.) If so, please advise on the best way to go about it.

Why did you have to jump the bike in the first place?

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

No battery in it. Have a jump box connected

Comment

The yellow with green stripe wires that lead to the clutch switch can be connected to each other in the headlight bucket. (All of mine are as well as most on this site no doubt)
              I can't remember if they will even start without even a weak/dead battery installed. Someone else will chime in soon I am sure.

Comment

I don't know much about a "jump box" but I would put a good battery in and start troubleshooting from there.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to get it started yet. I'm just trying to get it to crank when I push the starter button. I will be tuning it up and rebuilding the carbs before I go any further.

I just saw in another thread that I can jump the small soldered contacts on the starter relay to simulate 12v coming from the starter button. I will try this first to rule out an issue with the relay. If the relay is good I will try jumping the clutch safety switch and then take the starter button apart to see if I have continuity to the relay/clean up the contacts.
                  Last edited by Guest; 01-13-2014, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bshipe View Post
                    Just to clarify, I'm not trying to get it started yet. I'm just trying to get it to crank when I push the starter button. I will be tuning it up and rebuilding the carbs before I go any further.

I just saw in another thread that I can jump the small soldered contacts on the starter relay to simulate 12v coming from the starter button. I will try this first to rule out an issue with the relay. If the relay is good I will try jumping the clutch safety switch and then take the starter button apart to see if I have continuity to the relay/clean up the contacts.
                    Sounds like a good plan. I haven't seen a bad solenoid on a GS yet, although I'm sure it happens once in a while. Some switch getting gunked up is a lot more likely, especially the clutch danger switch.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks. What other kill switches are there? So far I know of the clutch safety and the main kill switch on the right handle bar. Is there a kickstand switch?

Comment

Don't know your model, but if there's a kickstand switch it probably just turns on an idiot light. I doubt it even has one. Besides the switches there are a few bullet connectors in the circuit that could be corroded.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The starter relay checked out good. I disconnected and jumped the clutch safety switch wiring and now I'm able to crank with the starter button! Thanks for the help. I pulled the carbs and now I will get to work on them. They are the most up carbs I've ever seen. I guess that's what you get after sitting in The shed for 30 years with out being winterized.

Comment

Working...
                          X