Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that I have LED blinkers: strange electrical phenomenon

Hi,

have installed 4 LED blinkers but not working properly...

1) OLD situation: 4 normal working blinkers

changed the rear lamps to LED blinkers and installed a LED flasher
    --> turned out OK

2) new situation: also installed LED front blinkers. Right blinkers (front and rear) are working perfectly, but on the left side only the FRONT blinker is working.

When I install the old lamp in the front rear, the blinker is working again.
    When I switch the rear LED lights left to right, then again the right side (front and left) is working properly...left side only front is working.

So all the led lights are OK, only the left rear is not blinking when I use the LED lamp...

What is going on ? has anyone ever experienced this strange phenomenon ? have no idea on how to tackle this...

you need a digital signal relay, or load resistors

Comment

Are all of the lamps grounded properly?
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Are you using load resistors? They can be had cheap on ebay. 1.30 each. search "signal LED resistor hyperflash" They are plug n play and sit in line in the headlamp can. They can get hot so make sure they are insulated (not electrical tape due to melting mess). OR a wire is connected to the wrong pole. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by silverbullet132 View Post
          you need a digital signal relay, or load resistors
          Originally posted by GS450 View Post
          Are you using load resistors?
          Guys, you need to go back and re-read his first post.

Here, I'll save you the effort of scrolling back and highlight the important parts:
          Originally posted by gert du prez View Post
          Hi,

have installed 4 LED blinkers but not working properly...

1) OLD situation: 4 normal working blinkers

changed the rear lamps to LED blinkers and installed a LED flasher
          --> turned out OK ...

Gert, based on this statement, I do have to ask though ...
          Originally posted by gert du prez View Post
          When I install the old lamp in the front rear, the blinker is working again.
          Just which one is the "front rear"?

I'm with cowboy on this one. When you see some really strange stuff in the electrical department, check your grounds.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

sorry for the mis information (English <> default language)

LEFT REAR with OLD LAMP = OK
            LEFT REAR with LED lamp = not OK

LEFT REAR LED LAMP to RIGHT REAR = RIGHT side still working properly...

I'll re-check the ground wires...will be coming back with further info...

Comment

With flasher units it is usually a current flow issue ie. the flasher unit needs enough current to make it work.
              Use a step by step approach starting from the beginning again.
              Put every thing back as it was and see if that works. This will eliminate any wiring/ground issues.
              Now start adding new stuff again and work from there.....

Comment

ok, based upon your posts...I have further information:

right rear: volts measured when blinking: jumps from 0 to +10.41 V

left rear: volts measured when blinking: jumps from 0 to -10.41 V (minus !!!)

and LED is a 'one-way direction' so I think that is the reason...
                Still have no idea why the left rear ground is acting as an 'live wire' and
                the so-called active wire as a ground ?

And now the big question: do I solve my issue by switching the two wires in the left rear blinker ?

Comment

I believe it will fix it.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Despite the encouraging words of Mr. Steve who helped me and tried to push me in finding the root cause, I sort of took the lazy route and switched the
                    left rear blinker black wire with its black/white striped ground wire.

Now everything works regarding the blinkers...! jihaaa!

and indeed, no, have not really really found what the issue was...

As I will never sell my beloved bike, no next owner will be bothered

Comment

Would you be willing to do one final test? Just for "fun and games"?

Without changing ANY wiring, just switch the two LED 'bulbs' at the rear from side to side.

If they still work as expected, there is something screwy with the wiring of the left rear socket. However, if you now have problems again, you have a screwy bulb. Swap them back to where they work and go for a ride.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

LED bulbs will sometimes only work when put in one way...and not the other....

I changed all the interior bulbs on my SUV, and some I had to turn 180 to make them work, could be the same thing here ? by switching the wires around ?

Comment

Understandable, when a bulb can be inserted in more than one way, but you would think that a tail light would always be wired the same way.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Ok Steve, here we go...

1) turned the rear LED bulbs over a 180 degree angle but kept left and right buld where these were: STILL WORKING

2) switched left rear LED bulb to right and vice versa: STILL WORKING

so that does not change my new 'rule': left rear blinker is powered by the ground...(boy, does that sound strange)

Comment

Thanks for humoring me, Gert.

That just proves that electrons are color-blind and really don't care what color the wire is that they are running through.

As long as the little pin in the center of the socket is live, it doesn't matter what color wire feeds it.

Also leads me to think that there is something screwy in the main harness.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X