Horn relay on GS1100E?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horn relay on GS1100E?

Horns not working on my 82 GS1100E. Is there a relay? If so,where is it located?

No relay. Use a test light or a voltmeter to check your power path.

The second fuse is the SIGNALS fuse. If your turn signals or brake lights work, the fuse is good. Remove the two terminals from the horn, turn the key ON. One of the terminals will be hot. The other terminal should ground through the horn button. If you are using a test light, it is a simple matter of moving your clip from the negative terminal of the battery for the first test to the positive terminal for the second test. If you are using a meter, use voltage for the first test, continuity (ohms) for the second test.

If these tests are OK, you might have a bad horn. Replacements are relatively cheap ($10-15 each) at Auto Zone.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Or upgrade to a horn set that others can actually hear:
      horn

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
        Or upgrade to a horn set that others can actually hear:
        horn
        Good idea,

And thanks for the link.

Apparently both horns on my '81 1100e are shot as well as the horn switch.

Comment

I'll try the tests

Thanks for the response. I'll try the tests and see what happens. I agree that more substantial horns would be a good move.

Comment

Something must have been loose. They're working now, but sound pitiful. Any recommendations on replacements?

Comment

Originally posted by Rickh55 View Post
              Something must have been loose. They're working now, but sound pitiful. Any recommendations on replacements?
              Look on the back, you will find a small screw with a locknut.

Loosen the locknut, adjust the screw, while the horn is sounding.

You will be amazed how loud those things can get.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Left horn quiet

Thanks for the horn adjust tip. My right works, left is quiet. They look stock (1100EZ).
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                  Thanks for the horn adjust tip. My right works, left is quiet. They look stock (1100EZ).
                  Since you are in NYC, think I would upgrade to some better horns. I mean you can't have all those taxis out blasting ya, can ya now.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                  X