CDI for '84 GS550EF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CDI for '84 GS550EF

Anyone know how hard or easy it is to find a servicable CDI for an 84 GS550EF... and possibly where to find one?

Cheers

Quick answer is good luck.They seem VERY fragile to extra voltage from a bad R/R.

Comment

The NEXT quick answer is: even MORE good luck.

There is no CDI on ANY GS bike.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It is an igniter that you are looking for and they are hard to find as they are very fragile on those models for some reason. They don't like voltage spikes at all.here is one on ebay
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

That is cheap so if you need one grab it but be warned it may not work or burn out quickly when in your bike. As mentioned, they are extremely sensitive to voltage and it seems the 550 is known for putting out over voltages that burn them up and or partially knock them out. I have seen an igniter not work in one bike but work fine in another.

While there are no direct plug ins of other igniters from the GS range, I did "invent" the swap of an '83 and up 750 igniter and its pick up coils in a tutorial known as "the igniter interchange project" which should be in the archives ( about 3 to 4 years back). I have the tutorial in pdf format if you want it. Just pm me. Igniters from these models are more plentiful and more robust but note that is not just a plug in but requires the pick up coils from the 750 along with some reengineering of the pickup plate.

There are also a couple of aftermarket solutions, one from Europe and one from New Zealand if memory serves. I think they are somewhere in the $250+ range.

Its a shame that these igniters are so frail as there are many otherwise good 550s sidelined for want of one.

It goes without saying that it behooves you and any other 550 owner to check the state of charging of your bike as previously mentioned they are know for overcharging.

good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
            Quick answer is good luck.They seem VERY fragile to extra voltage from a bad R/R.
            I have 70 000 plus kms on my bike and have gone through three regulator rectifiers. Still on the original Igniter. I bought a couple extra ones on ebay for cheap and they both work fine. The bike is a piece of scrap metal with out one.

99 bucks is cheap. I think another member on here is parting out a 550.
            Would you like to share the experiences you have had with a new accessory, part or vendor? Post your review here.

give him a pm mebbe.

Comment

MANY thanks for the info, folks. Much appreciated..

Comment

Working...
              X