Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ressistor in the oil pressure circuit???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ressistor in the oil pressure circuit???

My 850 has had the blinking light syndrome since I owned it. Weird happenings in the fuse box and other unexplainable electrical issues. After being warned by Steve and others about installing a electronic fuel shut off because of the low electrical output these bikes have I decided to take a look at why I had these problems---before i installed the shut off. The main power wire for lighting and many other things (orange with the green strip on the 850) had been scorched and melted in several places there were duplicate wires and plugs that had been bypassed and I have that all worked out, but I cannot figure out why someone would put a resistor in the oil pressure circuit???? Is it possibly because they put an LED in the indicator light? I haven't started the bike yet so I don't even know if the indicator light works (it didn't before this) just wonder if anyone had seen this before.

Are you SURE it's a resistor?

I ask that because there is a DIODE in the circuit between the oil pressure light and the side stand light.

The diode is there because the two switches (oil pressure and side stand) are in parallel with the two lights. What that does for you is that when oil pressure drops, BOTH lights will come on to get your attention, but the diode between the lights will prevent the oil light from coming on when deploying the side stand.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

No I'm not sure

I know nothing much about electric. I've been very lucky through this process. I blew up the wiring diagram to 2 foot by 3 foot at work and just slowly worked through each circuit. I've seen resistors and diodes on work friends and family have done and I thought it looked like a resisitor. It was in the headlight and looked like a non factory setup but I could be completely wrong. Someone must have cut off the other lead because it dead ended. I was just overjoyed that everything that used to work,works, plus a few extras--like the high beam indicator. This just stumped me. I'll look at the kickstand wiring and see if I can see where it was seperated.

Thanks

Comment

Duh

A previous owner took of the kickstand switch. I was think of the 1100. Since there isn'ta kick stand switch should I take the diode out and hook it up straight or can I rig it so both lights still work if the pressure is too low?

Comment

Even if the side stand switch is missing, both lights should come on when the oil is low.

My wife's bike came to us without a side stand switch, I had to find one and install it.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesp View Post
              I haven't started the bike yet so I don't even know if the indicator light works (it didn't before this) just wonder if anyone had seen this before.
              bear in mind the light should be on when the bike is not running, and go off when you start it up.
              if the light is not on with the engine not running you need to address this first (bulb gone/wiring)
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
              X