c5 ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
    Contrary to your opinion, I do think older bikes have various problems, that newer bikes do not have. To read your comments above, you would think that there are no charging problems, there are no electrical problems, there are no jetting problems, there are no safety problems, there are no maintenance problems, (I could keep going on but you should get the point).

Also contrary to your opinion, I also think that many people think that their old bikes have problems and they are looking for solutions. All you need to do is look at the Tower of Babel of motorcycles electronics upgrades that are being offered on the market as well as the flood of Chinese electronic products.

Posplayr
    Your right there are known problems on old bikes but there are also no new old bikes and no new unknown problems with these old bikes. With that, someone somewhere has come up with or found a solution to most likely every problem you think needs a fix and some you haven't. If this is your passion and hobby then so be it but if this is a business dream you should target a wider, newer audience rather than a niche and declining market. I'm sure someone could sell electric starters for model T era hand crank cars but how many of those cars are there now and how many will there be next year?

Originally posted by eil View Post
    I wrote a long rebuttal to Killer2600's screed, but in the end I think this says it better: In this world, there are people who do and people who complain. I think it's obvious who is who without further elaboration.
    It's not a complaint, I'm not a customer, it's simply a word of advice to think about.

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
    A Hyabusa might be nice if it had the riding position I like, but it doesn't. Having a 36 year old bike that is as, or more reliable than a Hyabusa that fits my riding style is the reason for me.
    Actually, I thought nothing of the hayabusa, so odd how you mention it because it doesn't come with radio, air suspension, or other crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
      Your right there are known problems on old bikes but there are also no new old bikes and no new unknown problems with these old bikes. With that, someone somewhere has come up with or found a solution to most likely every problem you think needs a fix and some you haven't. If this is your passion and hobby then so be it but if this is a business dream you should target a wider, newer audience rather than a niche and declining market. I'm sure someone could sell electric starters for model T era hand crank cars but how many of those cars are there now and how many will there be next year?
      You obviously feel compelled to reiterate a position that your see no value in adding or changing anything on a 30 year old bikes as in your view it has "all been done before". To take this literally would mean we should all suffer with old brakes, and old shocks, and old horns, and old lights, and burning stators because as you say "it has all been done before". The new bikes have fixed all this, even though we may not have new bike.

The conclusion that there is no merit in doing something because someone else already did it, doesn't make any sense except that presumably there is just no interest "in your mind" of improving something that is available in a new bike. That doesn't necessarily mean that there is no interest in other people's minds, but with your reiteration I gather that you just don't see that.

Apparently the other part of your message is that there is no way to make a business out of selling motorcycle parts for old motorcycles and you are warning and or apprising me of this. Well OK thank you for the words of advice. The very limited market for GS Suzuki's has not eluded me. I did not just fall off of the turnip truck.

Comment

You obviously feel compelled to reiterate a position that your see no value in adding or changing anything on a 30 year old bikes as in your view it has "all been done before". To take this literally would mean we should all suffer with old brakes, and old shocks, and old horns, and old lights, and burning stators because as you say "it has all been done before". The new bikes have fixed all this, even though we may not have new bike.

The conclusion that there is no merit in doing something because someone else already did it, doesn't make any sense except that presumably there is just no interest "in your mind" of improving something that is available in a new bike. That doesn't necessarily mean that there is no interest in other people's minds, but with your reiteration I gather that you just don't see that.
        Not actually, there is a place for customizing and upgrading a bike even at 30+ years old but there's a limit to what you should expect from that and what you should do. Even if you change every single piece to a modern bike you won't have an alloy frame found on new bikes. So customize yes great, try to have a modern bike without buying a modern bike "why'd you buy a old bike if all you want to do is change all of it."

As for having new modern tech parts that will replace old worn parts that collectors that ride their bikes will no doubt need, yes they are needed and valued but my main issue is along the lines of the old points and electronic ignition from the factory sucks and it'd be great to have a modern replacement that's affordable. Ok, it's great that dyna has been making an electronic ignition that can be fitted on our old 30+ year old bike for years now. With that availability of something that arguably will only get changed once in 50 years of ownership does anyone else need to make a dyna S like ignition replacement for a 30 year old bike or are such just being stubborn.

Essentially, would you like accessories for your pet rock? I'm extremely late to the game but I'm going to invest time and money in this as if there isn't already any kind of availability of "stuff" to go with people pet rocks. I think people will want this stuff so I gotta help out all these pet rock owners that don't have modern replacements and accessories for their rock.

Comment

Not actually, there is a place for customizing and upgrading a bike even at 30+ years old but there's a limit to what you should expect from that and what you should do. Even if you change every single piece to a modern bike you won't have an alloy frame found on new bikes. So customize yes great, try to have a modern bike without buying a modern bike "why'd you buy a old bike if all you want to do is change all of it."

As for having new modern tech parts that will replace old worn parts that collectors that ride their bikes will no doubt need, yes they are needed and valued but my main issue is along the lines of the old points and electronic ignition from the factory sucks and it'd be great to have a modern replacement that's affordable. Ok, it's great that dyna has been making an electronic ignition that can be fitted on our old 30+ year old bike for years now. With that availability of something that arguably will only get changed once in 50 years of ownership does anyone else need to make a dyna S like ignition replacement for a 30 year old bike or are such just being stubborn.

Essentially, would you like accessories for your pet rock? I'm extremely late to the game but I'm going to invest time and money in this as if there isn't already any kind of availability of "stuff" to go with people pet rocks. I think people will want this stuff so I gotta help out all these pet rock owners that don't have modern replacements and accessories for their rock.
          Killer, you seem to be beating a dead horse. I certainly understand your position however much I disagree. Just because you have no interest does not mean that nobody else does.

I'm also sensing a bit or ridicule in your tone, best you keep that to yourself lest you be made to look the idiot.

Comment

Killer, why don't you look up Agemax, take a look at his bike and tell him your opinion of the world according to Killer 2600.
            '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Killer, you seem to be beating a dead horse. I certainly understand your position however much I disagree. Just because you have no interest does not mean that nobody else does.

I'm also sensing a bit or ridicule in your tone, best you keep that to yourself lest you be made to look the idiot.
              If someone can make me look like an idiot then so be it. I'd enjoy seeing it and how perfect they are in relation.

Like I said earlier "your time, your dime" the only question really is why? what's your logic? If suitable conceptions didn't exist then I could see fabricating custom components (upgrades) but things like aftermarket ignitions exist and the market is virtually saturated. So why?

There's an old line used in Jurassic Park and other literary works that goes along the lines, "your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should."

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
              Killer, why don't you look up Agemax, take a look at his bike and tell him your opinion of the world according to Killer 2600.
              Why did he take a 80's suzuki and customize it into a 2000's goldwing?

Don't mistake, I do believe in customizing but there customizing where you change some things and make the bike uniquely yours and then there is changing everything because you bought the wrong bike. Also, my main reason for posting in this thread, how many different aftermarket ignition selections/choices does one need before they can say, "you know what, I don't need someone to make one I just have to pick one out of the bunch?"

IMHO posplayr is a design-aholic and in the wrong field for such persons as basic electric and electronic crap is too reliable to necessitate reinvention. Look at the run for the incandescent light bulb, still used today even with new and cutting edge technologies because it just works (better than some of the newer stuff in some aspects).

Comment

If someone can make me look like an idiot then so be it. I'd enjoy seeing it and how perfect they are in relation.

Like I said earlier "your time, your dime" the only question really is why? what's your logic? If suitable conceptions didn't exist then I could see fabricating custom components (upgrades) but things like aftermarket ignitions exist and the market is virtually saturated. So why?

There's an old line used in Jurassic Park and other literary works that goes along the lines, "your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should."

Why did he take a 80's suzuki and customize it into a 2000's goldwing?

Don't mistake, I do believe in customizing but there customizing where you change some things and make the bike uniquely yours and then there is changing everything because you bought the wrong bike. Also, my main reason for posting in this thread, how many different aftermarket ignition selections/choices does one need before they can say, "you know what, I don't need someone to make one I just have to pick one out of the bunch?"

IMHO posplayr is a design-aholic and in the wrong field for such persons as basic electric and electronic crap is too reliable to necessitate reinvention. Look at the run for the incandescent light bulb, still used today even with new and cutting edge technologies because it just works (better than some of the newer stuff in some aspects).
                I answered you but, chose to delete my response as making you out to be an idiot doesn't serve my purposes.

And as the saying goes "I could tell you what I'm doing, but then I would have to kill you!!".
                Last edited by posplayr; 03-22-2014, 03:13 PM.

Comment

I answered you but, chose to delete my response as making you out to be an idiot doesn't serve my purposes.

And as the saying goes "I could tell you what I'm doing, but then I would have to kill you!!".
                  Killer, You are the first one I thought of when I saw this.

Comment

I'm very curious to see how this turns out! I wanted to upgrade from points, and I eventually got a broken dyna for $20 from a friend to combine with the first dyna-s off of my wife's gs550 that failed after 13 months. I built one good one out if two units, both with failed 1-4 pickups. Seems that due to summertime excessive engine heat &/or high/low voltages, the rear pickups occasionally fail on the dyna-s.

I am glad that there is another option coming out that is better than the dyna-s, that keeps the sensitive electronics out of the engine case, where I believe 180 to 270 degree temperatures are not uncommon. I was sad to see that Pete discontinued the Pamco ignitions for gs models (still does yamaha xs's & honda cb's I believe). I dont know if $400 is in my budget with all the cash I already have invested in my GS to make it a serious corner carving & powerful road handling machine, but glad to have the option.

I despise the way modern sport bikes look, I want a classic based classic appearing updated corner carving powerhouse, not a hayabusa, bandit, gsxr, etc... The modern "retro" or "cafe" styled bikes hang on to too much old technology, and my bike when done will be far more advanced than those options as well, for less $, & exactly what I want. Not to mention all of the knowledge gained by building it myself, and the satisfaction of having built it myself.
                    Last edited by Chuck78; 06-07-2014, 02:27 PM.
                    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                    '79 GS425stock
                    PROJECTS:
                    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

In response to the skeptics, think of how much work it would take to make a bandit look just like a 1979 GS1000 with the old style tank retrofitted or fabricated to wrap around the modern style frames, wire wheels to fit the modern forks & suspension, retro gauges, seat, exhaust, etc... Plus the $$$$ purchase price of a modern bike & repairs/maintenance to it.

GS's are cheap, & excellent platforms for modifications to many degrees. My completed and heavily modified/improved bike in the end will cost a little more (+$500-1200) than a good condition, stock, very dated KZ1000, and will be far far more advanced - with as much power (plenty plenty fast enough), much much lighter, and leaps and bounds better in the handling department, as well as far bwtter wiring and electronics. Plus I love to tinker & customize my bikes to fit my needs & likes, and keep with the classic late 1960's through early 1980's stylings. No way would I want to ride a hideous looking bandit or hayabusa, although I can appreciate the modern handling. The modern power is a bit on the excessive side though. a stock 77 GS 750 is already faster than most Harley's ever to roll off the assembly line.
                      Last edited by Chuck78; 06-07-2014, 01:26 PM.
                      '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                      '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                      '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                      '79 GS425stock
                      PROJECTS:
                      '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                      '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                      '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                      '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                      '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

The optical sensor is probably more accurate (especially given the number of teeth they have), but the most common reason for NOT selecting an optical sensor is dirt can obstruct the light so you need a strategy for that. Perhaps there is not much dirt under a timing cover? Other than that no comment.
                        Been using optical Piranha ignition for the past quarter century and dirt hasn't been a problem. It's just as well the original design was fairly robust, as the makers went under more than once and spares/repair would have been problematical. To that end I've been keeping an eye out for spare units on ebay, but once I get the GM box together the necessity diminishes. Soon, now.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                        X