Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna S ignition

G'day all,

It's time for an (unsolicited) plug for Dynatek's 'Dyna S' ignition system for the GS1000.

After resurrecting my GS1000 about 6 months ago, I fixed up the original points set-up (new condensers and points) and adjusted it. The adjustment process turned out to be VERY fiddly and frustrating. Sure, it sounded straight-forward in the manual, but in reality...

It didn't take me too long to move the replacement of this old technology up the priority list!

The Dyna S replacement was only about AU$160 (inc. postage) via eBay, and was easy to install. The bike is idling better, runs more crisply and cleanly -- and is maybe even a bit more powerful! Best of all, it's 'set and forget'.

So if you've still got the OE points set-up on your 1979 or earlier machine, you might want to seriously think about ditching it for a Dyna S.

Cheers,
    Mike.

if you retained the original advance set up how did you time 2-3 if its like my 79 750?,advance and static timing marks are absent only a tdc T mark.I temporarily etched one using 1-4 marks as a reference that will do till i can find my degree disc and do it properly but its a bit of a pita

Comment

If there are no marks for 2.3 but for a TDC mark, then that is indeed a PITA. Copying and transferring the marks from 1.4 will be fine; that will be simply doing what the factory did on all the ATU's that I've seen.
      A degree wheel will do the job... but why not just pick up another ATU that has the marks for 2.3 as well?

Comment

How about a simple dial indicator? Or, barring having one of those, dial calipers will work just as well.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

They always run pretty good with the factory setting, but you want to use a timing light to adjust the 2-3 module to match 1-4. The ignition comes with a small Allen wrench to loosen the tiny bolts so you can slip the module so the mark is dead on. If you are impressed with the Dyna-S match it with the Dyna green coils and 8mm suppression wires. They are hotter than stock and make a noticeable difference. If the factory advance is on that 750, the marks are there. If I remember correctly, I had to wire brush mine to find the marks when I first got the bike
          Last edited by OldVet66; 04-16-2014, 08:49 AM.
          '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Definately no marks,I didn't notice till pulled it apart to clean and lube,just temp marked with a scratch in white paint .just have to find my degree disc hidden in recent move.Good idea about a replacement an aau but very rare here these days will keep an eye out for one

Comment

but you want to use a timing light to adjust the 2-3 module to match 1-4
              Don't worry, I did indeed check both 1.4 and 2.3 with a xenon strobe. All is spot-on.

Comment

Originally posted by daturat100r View Post
                Definately no marks,I didn't notice till pulled it apart to clean and lube,just temp marked with a scratch in white paint .just have to find my degree disc hidden in recent move.Good idea about a replacement an aau but very rare here these days will keep an eye out for one
                That's odd, my '77 750 had T and F marks for 1-4 and 2-3.

Comment

It's a moot point. If you checked it with a light and both are spot on, and 1-4 hits the advance mark properly 2-3 is doing the same when the weights throw out.
                  '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

My 850G has no marks for 2-3.

Comment

Sorry I was looking at the advance assembly in the thumbnail. Those weights are identical couldn't you measure and scribe the unmarked weight? If they dissemble, couldn't you lay them back to back and scribe the marks? I don't have one out of a bike so I can take a good look.

Comment

marks are on the body of the aau not on the weights

Comment

Got it, didn't have one at hand to look at.

Comment

Working...
                          X