The GS ignitor diy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
    can't you install a degree wheel and rotate the crank it until a fires each pair of plugs?
    that's how i used to do all the hot rod stuff.
    I used to static time my old Chevy 327 that way. The timing light was only confirming my static time using the timing mark.

Comment

Good idea. I had a degree wheel, but it's not to be found and I haven't had cause to use it for years. No matter, it's easy enough to print one out and paste it onto an old cover disc.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
        Good idea. I had a degree wheel, but it's not to be found and I haven't had cause to use it for years. No matter, it's easy enough to print one out and paste it onto an old cover disc.
        You can also just use the static timing mark on the ignition plate.

Comment

i always do this because the dyna's are never even from 1-4 to 2-3.
          sometimes there is 2/3/4 degree's difference between them and i'll be damned if i stick my fingers around the advancer with the engine running...

Comment

make a positive stop from an old plug and check if the factory TDC is correct.
            they normally are not.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
              make a positive stop from an old plug and check if the factory TDC is correct.
              they normally are not.
              Useful info, thanks.
              Ha; used to do that with my old MZ - made a plug with sliding pin to time the thing accurately - 2mm piston rise BTDC iirc.
              ---- Dave
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                Excellent, looking forward to seeing/hearing the first run!
                Here you go...
                ---- Dave

Comment

Very nice Dave! Glad to see/hear her running!
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I went down and spun it over again a couple of hours later; fired up immediately on all four, but there's a large exhaust blow from No1, as I knew from before it was put aside, which still makes it sound awful. However, this time it revved freely, but after a minute the smoke being generated from the oil introduced into the cylinders as part of the recommissioning became overwhelming and I had to vacate the workshop. Still, it's nice to know the ignitor appears to work properly and so far there's no nasty bangs or rattles.
                    ---- Dave

Comment

That's great thought Dave, the DIY ignitor working is the most important thing I would imagine... the rest you know can be sorted

sigpic

Comment

Well, to wrap up the ignitor thread - barring a new crankshaft in place, it's as far as I can go for now. The ignitor works - the spark is strong and doesn't drift or do anything unexpected, it remains exactly where the mechanical advance unit puts it.
                        The engine starts first touch of the button, with ropey old coils and 20 year old plugs (that haven't really done many miles, in fact).
                        If the ignitor on the other bike packs in, I'll fit this one for a longer-term test.
                        ---- Dave

Comment

That's a good conclusion! Once you get it on the road you'll have to give an update...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X