spark plug wires and caps replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spark plug wires and caps replacement

I've been searching the forum and I've found bits and pieces of the answer, but not the answer. I know someone else will find it right away.

I want to replace my cruddy and weathered spark plug wires and replace the caps while I'm at it. I know there's a correct way to do this with stock coils. Pry epoxy off, etc. Is there a thread where someone has done this? If so I keep missing it.

Spark plug caps. There is a few choices at Z1 and I want to grab the correct ones. Are these correct for my 1982 GS850G? Grabbed these numbers from Basscliff's site, of course.
    NGK XB05F (2)
    NGK VB05F (2)

Thanks.

I have read where they dig out the epoxy, but do not have the link.
    For the wires, I would suggest the Dyna suppression wires, and then you do not need the special caps. About half the price ($20) from Z1E and you are done.

Comment

7mm or 8mm?

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
      I have read where they dig out the epoxy, but do not have the link.
      For the wires, I would suggest the Dyna suppression wires, and then you do not need the special caps. About half the price ($20) from Z1E and you are done.

Comment

7mm wires....

Comment

great, thanks.

Comment

what's the difference between the suppression and non-suppression wires?

i'll do some googling on that.

i gotta order some wire and caps today.

Comment

Z1 gives me 9 different choices for spark plug caps. I thought there would only be 2.

Help steer me in the right direction?

Comment

I've replaced HT wire in the stock coils on my 850, easy to do if you're patient enough.

The caps you list in your OP are the correct ones IF you use standard HT wire i.e. NOT suppression wire. They have internal suppression resistors in them (5k if memory serves) and you don't need both. I went to my local auto store and bought HT wire off the reel for dirt cheap. Something like this:

Use a knife or dental pick to remove the epoxy around the wire where it enters the coil. When you've cleaned it out enough the wire will pull out. You'll find a spike in the bottom of the recess in the coil on which you just shove the new wire like this:

Fix the new wires in there with epoxy or similar, think I used "right stuff" screw the new caps on and you're done.
                It's smoke that make electronic components work.
                Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
                '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
                '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
                '82 GS1000SZ
                '82 GS1100GL
                '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
                  Help steer me in the right direction?
                  The best direction was the suggestion to get the Dyna suppression wire. It eliminates the need for plug caps and suppresses radio frequency noise.
                  '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Yep. The 7mm suppression wires come with the correct caps already. Less than $20 and you are GTG.

Comment

Sold. Thanks guys!

Comment

This set is all I need for all four wires, right?

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
                          http://www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDet...9&item=DYDW600

This set is all I need for all four wires, right?
                          Yup.........

Comment

It'll do you for a couple of years.
                            ---- Dave
                            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Plenty of wire there between both boots to do anything you want. I run mine from front to back, looks real good that way (now I see the bike needs a bath). https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-c...o/P1010310.JPG
                              '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                              X