Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raspberry Pi? Are you trying to incorporate a GUI or something? Why not just use an AVR or PIC and write the code in C? Hell, you could probably use an AVR and use Arduino to program it if you want to get really simple.

Comment

Speaking of the Pi, the next generation is purported to cost just $5. The Zero as they call it, is their smallest and cheapest computer to date - half the size of the model A+ and twice as powerful.

Raspberry Pi has just unveiled the Pi Zero, a programmable computer that costs only $5, or about as much as a cup of coffee.

• 1Ghz, Single-core CPU
      • 512MB RAM
      • Mini HDMI and USB On-The-Go ports
      • Micro USB power
      • HAT-compatible 40-pin header
      • Composite video and reset headers
      ----------------------------------------------------------------
      2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Originally posted by huntb View Post
        Raspberry Pi? Are you trying to incorporate a GUI or something? Why not just use an AVR or PIC and write the code in C? Hell, you could probably use an AVR and use Arduino to program it if you want to get really simple.
        His schematic seems to be designed around a PicAxe.

Comment

I know computers have gotten smaller, but I'm shocked at the drop in prices. H/W costs are truly are asymptotically approaching zero.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            I know computers have gotten smaller, but I'm shocked at the drop in prices. H/W costs are truly are asymptotically approaching zero.
            Agreed. Now I'm thinking of implementing some ideas using the PI-Zero. Just tried to pick one up but it seems that everyone is out of stock right now.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

His schematic seems to be designed around a PicAxe.
              Yes, I understand, but he also want to use a RPi which is complete overkill. A simple cheap AVR could be used or if he wants to use Arduino's canned functions to program it, an Arduino Nano would be the obvious choice.

Not that PICAxe is a bad thing, I'm just more biased towards C rather than BASIC.

Comment

Originally posted by huntb View Post
                Yes, I understand, but he also want to use a RPi which is complete overkill. A simple cheap AVR could be used or if he wants to use Arduino's canned functions to program it, an Arduino Nano would be the obvious choice.

Not that PICAxe is a bad thing, I'm just more biased towards C rather than BASIC.
                I agree, I would go with an AVR as well. I have a few designs I'll be working on early next year and this TSCU should not be that big of an issue although those that have blazed the trail claim there are noise problems

I don't really do BASIC (anymore) either.I'm working on a cross platform development with VS 2010 and Crossworks for ARM targeting a Cortex 3M; it is a mixture of C/C++.
                Atmel claim that their new platform is based on VS which I have grown very fond of so that seems a no brainer especially with the open source Arduino link to AVR chips.

Comment

The problem isn't which device to use, it is having to learn a programming language. Plus, as has been just mentioned, the raspberry Pi zero is a whole whopping five dollars. Is it overkill compared to a PIC or an AVR? Sure it is, but at least I may have a fighting chance at writing the software to run it.

And there you have it.
                  De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                    The problem isn't which device to use, it is having to learn a programming language. Plus, as has been just mentioned, the raspberry Pi zero is a whole whopping five dollars. Is it overkill compared to a PIC or an AVR? Sure it is, but at least I may have a fighting chance at writing the software to run it.

And there you have it.
                    The most basic language is well BASIC .

Comment

Looking into the Raspberry PI, I find it has multiple language support. I've always migrated toward C or C++ and it has support for that as well along with several others. Been putting off some project ideas I've had because of simple procrastination, but this thread has got me motivated again. Never realized that the micro controllers have gotten so inexpensive as well. Although the PI zero is only $5 I'm migrating toward the PI-2 B since it has all the bells and whistles for less then $40 and would make a good development platform. In the case of this threads project, I think it's serious overkill. I even question the need for a micro controller for a turn signal in general. Seems like it could be better implemented using simple discrete components.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                        Looking into the Raspberry PI, I find it has multiple language support. I've always migrated toward C or C++ and it has support for that as well along with several others. Been putting off some project ideas I've had because of simple procrastination, but this thread has got me motivated again. Never realized that the micro controllers have gotten so inexpensive as well. Although the PI zero is only $5 I'm migrating toward the PI-2 B since it has all the bells and whistles for less then $40 and would make a good development platform. In the case of this threads project, I think it's serious overkill. I even question the need for a micro controller for a turn signal in general. Seems like it could be better implemented using simple discrete components.
                        This provides an ideal solution for this problem and short of a custom mini FPGA or you are not going to make it any smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                          Seems like it could be better implemented using simple discrete components.
                          Did that already sans the speedometer input for self cancel.
                          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

If you need a recommendation to get rolling on this, fastest/simplest would be to learn with an Arduino and use a NANO with a prototype board.

get something like this to plug it it into

They have knock-offs on ebay so you have to worry about the Arduino loader being installed but there are hacks on the web. Or just splurge for a real one.

You will have to learn how to program in some language, this will not be any harder than BASIC and it is "C" like.

IIRC, someone just mentioned the NANO before; I bought a couple and you just plug it into a USB and it powers. If you have the right software downloaded you are talking to it. You use patch wires to test out the code/circuit talking to one of your switches and real or simulated speedo. Use a second UNO to simulate the Speedo
                            Last edited by posplayr; 12-02-2015, 02:53 PM.

Comment

I'm subscribed to this thread somewhat over my head these electronics, would be interested when perfected, sounds good.
                              The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                              1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                              past bikes. RF900
                              TL1000s
                              Hayabusa
                              gsx 750f x2
                              197cc Francis Barnett
                              various British nails

Comment

If you need a recommendation to get rolling on this, fastest/simplest would be to learn with an Arduino and use a NANO with a prototype board.

get something like this to plug it it into

They have knock-offs on ebay so you have to worry about the Arduino loader being installed but there are hacks on the web. Or just splurge for a real one.

You will have to learn how to program in some language, this will not be any harder than BASIC and it is "C" like.

IIRC, someone just mentioned the NANO before; I bought a couple and you just plug it into a USB and it powers. If you have the right software downloaded you are talking to it. You use patch wires to test out the code/circuit talking to one of your switches and real or simulated speedo. Use a second UNO to simulate the Speedo
                                The Arduino NANO is a good platform for a project like this. Both analog and digital I/O and pretty easy to program. Any micro controller will require some amount of a learning curve but they're pretty basic. Language support will vary but most of these will use some form of a "C"ish language. Tiny BASIC is ported to a lot of hardware platforms as well.

There's even an event driven programming platform that might be very applicable to a project like this. The benefits of programming using an event driven software platform is pretty obvious in an environment where switch/pulse input capture is beneficial. Should make programming a bit easier.
                                Last edited by JTGS850GL; 12-02-2015, 04:59 PM.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                                X