Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79GS1000 timing question

Setting timing on my 79gs1000.

Have a question and just confirming I'm doing it right.

First I set the F14 mark to line up exactly. Then with a continuity light from the negative battery terminal to the moving point I rotated the plate until it just flickered out.
    The set the F23 mark. With continuity light to moving point of 2,3 points. And adjusted the 23 plate until the light just flickers out.

Question I have is that the 2/3 plate needs to be moved completely to one extreme...like right to the end and with pressure applied, before the light flickers out.

This worries me and I wonder what it means, if anything.

How have you set the points gap?

What shape are the points themselves in?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yes I set the gaps to .35 and the points seem clean and the proper shape and lined up (as far as I can tell not having seen many...). Looked at the pictures in the manual and I think they look good.

Comment

I believe the spec for points gap is .35mm, you're not using inches are you?

If you did it right hit it with a timing light and see what it does.
        Last edited by tkent02; 05-12-2014, 12:32 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Best is to set the gap on 1-4 first, time it in as you describe then gap 2-3 and time that set in. Very often as you slacken/tighten the plate screws the whole plate moves enough to change the gap so you have to be careful and watch for that.
          sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Hi yes .35mm is what I set the points gap to.

So no one's run across the 2/3 plate needing to move all the way to one extreme? (in this case pushed in the clockwise direction as far as it will go)

Is it generally in the middle of the range somewhere?

Comment

Robert

extreme plate setting are usually a sign that you've used the T mark rather than the F mark when setting the ignition timing
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I agree that would do it, but I've used the "middle marks, right beside the "F".
                Last edited by Guest; 05-12-2014, 06:16 PM.

Comment

So Big T, what I'm hearing you say is that it doesn't seem right that the 2/3 plate should need to go right to the end to set the timing. Any other ideas?
                  When I had the valve cover off I confirmed that the cam chain was installed with the timing marks in the proper place, and with the right number of links between the two sprockets.

P.S. Looks like I just became a "senior member"??? Wow that must be a programming glitch. Feel like I know close to ziltch so far, but I guess more than I did last year.

Comment

dont know what the gap is in MMs but it should be 12/1000
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I pulled out the ATU to have a look at it. Thought maybe one side was stuck open and that was affecting the static timing setup. It looked fine.

So I'm just going to go with this timing for now and keep the plate setting issue in the back of my mind. It does seem timed properly, however there is zero room for additional adjustment on the 2/3 plate.

I suppose if she runs good... Still bugging me though. I don't like not understanding something.

Comment

Robert, the fiber heel on the 2/3 points could be worn, maybe ?
                        My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Hi Sorry I missed this response. I'm not sure what you mean by the fibre heel but I'll check it out. Thanks.

Comment

The part of the contact points that contacts the cam on the end of the crank
                            My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Good morning. My 78 gs1000 timing is the same way. When it had points there wasn't any adjustment left. Now with the dyna-s it's the same. Futhermore I installed a dyna-s on a buddies 83 gs1100 same thing. Both bikes run great. The timing on mine hasn't changed in 8000 miles. I check it yearly. So in my opinion just ride it.

Comment

Working...
                              X