clean up wiring in headlight bucket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clean up wiring in headlight bucket

do any of you have tips on wrangling in/tidying up the mess of wires in the headlight bucket? i'm cleaning connections and i sure would like to tuck everything back in there nice and neat. zip ties are going to be my friend.

Just make sure you leave enough slack to allow steering movement lock to lock without pulling on the wires.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

ooof, thanks! i probably would have forgotten that.
      Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
      Just make sure you leave enough slack to allow steering movement lock to lock without pulling on the wires.

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
        do any of you have tips on wrangling in/tidying up the mess of wires in the headlight bucket? i'm cleaning connections and i sure would like to tuck everything back in there nice and neat. zip ties are going to be my friend.
        Like the other poster said make sure you have slack.

You want to kind or arrange the wires into a conical donut shape in the bucket so you have fit the head light in easier.

While you have it open clean your connections.

Comment

It's a mess even on a brand new bike (or was, when these were new). This is one area where function is 99.9% of the concern. Appearance doesn't really matter as long as your headlamp assembly fits in there without squashing the rat's nest too badly.
          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
          __________________________________________________ ______________________
          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

yeah, i am cleaning. that's the reason for the post.

thanks for the advice.

Originally posted by GS(X)400 View Post
            Like the other poster said make sure you have slack.

You want to kind or arrange the wires into a conical donut shape in the bucket so you have fit the head light in easier.

While you have it open clean your connections.

Comment

I ditched the stock connectors and went with the flat four trailer wiring connectors to save room.
              NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
              Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

do you have any photos of your work? that sounds like a great solution. it drives me crazy.

Comment

Working...
                X