1980 GS250 ignition problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS250 ignition problem

I have a 1980 GS250T that I am trying to get running (I've read the same line in a dozen places on this forum).

I got it for $100. I went to a garage sale and the guy there was trying to get it running. He couldn't, so he sold it to me cheap. He said it quit on the original owner after 6000 miles, so the guy stuck it in the garage and it has been sitting ever since.

It has a new battery, fully charged.

The igniter tested bad so I ordered a new one on EBay. It was made in Europe.

Now I have spark only on the left side. Both coils show the same resistance on both the primary and secondary windings, although they show only about 20k ohms on the secondary windings and the book calls for about 23k ohms. I checked the plug caps, and they both show the same resistance. The signal generator also meets the specified resistance shown in the service manual.

I have cleaned all of the connections.

Sometimes the right side sparks when I first start cranking, but then doesn't spark again. Except that, sometimes it sparks just when I let off of the key.

I have experience with old boats, but motorcycles are a little new for me. I know that sometimes an old boat coil will test ok, but won't work.

Anyone have a similar problem, or maybe just lots of experience. I don't know what to buy next!!

Have you tried switching connections from ignitor to coils to see if right coil now fires while left doesn't.maybe you still have ignitor problem.
    ebay ignitor? got a pic?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Tried switching sides

Hi, thanks for responding to my post.
      I tried switching the coils from one side to the other, but the connectors are reversed so that the one on the right is female to the coil and the one on the left is male. Don't really want to poke pins through the wires or anything.

There really isn't an easy way to switch the ignitor, either. I've been thinking about it, and the only thing I can think to do is push paper clips down the wire side of the connector.

I'll try that and see what happens.

I'll also take a picture of the new ignitor. It bolts right in, and has the correct connector.

This is a link to the Ebay ad. Hope it works for you:

Comment

New twist

I switched the wires at the coils.

I had spark on the right side, but it was only for every other cycle.

So I switched back, and now I only have spark for every other cycle on the left side. Betting it is the ignitor. Guess I'll just give up and spend the bucks for a whole new ignition system.

Can you give me any alternatives, or advise on what I should buy. The only thing I've been able to find online is Dynatek.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

The ebay ad was adamant that the unit would work on your model- I'd contact the seller and explain that you have tested everything and determined the ignitor/cdi box isn't functioning correctly. At that price another should be sent (or money returned) - if you don't get a fair response, complain to ebay.
          The dyna systems have proven good - they replace both the ignitor and signal coils at same time.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Oops, No Dyna for my bike!

Now I'm really stuck. I sent Dynatek an email asking which of their systems I should buy for my 250. They responded that they currently don't have a product for the GS250T.

Any ideas what I can do?

Oh, and yes, the Ebay company will refund my money. However, I have to pay shipping. That means their part that doesn't work cost me $70.00. Guess I won't be buying from them again.

Comment

According to parts fiches, the 1980 gs250 shares its ignitor and signal plate assembly with the early 450's and one 550. This chart is from alpha-sports.com cross reference

1980 SUZUKI GS250T - SIGNAL GENERATOR
              1980 SUZUKI GS450ET - SIGNAL GENERATOR
              1980 SUZUKI GS450LT - SIGNAL GENERATOR
              1980 SUZUKI GS450ST - SIGNAL GENERATOR
              1980 SUZUKI GS550LT - SIGNAL GENERATOR
              1980 SUZUKI GS550T & ET - SIGNAL GENERATOR
              1981 SUZUKI GS250TX - SIGNAL GENERATOR
              1981 SUZUKI GS450EX - SIGNAL GENERATOR
              1981 SUZUKI GS450LX - SIGNAL GENERATOR
              1981 SUZUKI GS450SX - SIGNAL GENERATOR
              1981 SUZUKI GS450TX - SIGNAL GENERATOR
              1982 SUZUKI GS450EZ - SIGNAL GENERATOR
              1982 SUZUKI GS450LZ - SIGNAL GENERATOR
              1982 SUZUKI GS450TXZ - SIGNAL GENERATOR
              1982 SUZUKI GS450TZ - SIGNAL GENERATOR

Note the 1980 550 listing, my quick check said Z1 had dyna system for it, so why won't it fit yours???? let's see what others say
              1981 gs650L

Comment

GS250 Signal Generator

Sorry It's been a few days. I've been busy with work and trying to get this figured out.

I did a bunch more tests. I checked the resistance from one side of my connectors to the other to make sure my cleaning worked. I did find one wire that wasn't making good contact. I fixed it and the left side started sparking every cycle.

Then I switched the wires at each of the connectors in the system, just to make sure and see what happened.

The signal generator created spark from both poles, no matter which side I had it wired to.

There was no doubt, the ignitor wasn't working for one side.

I wrote the guy from ebay an email and told him what I had done. He said his company had been making electronic parts for bikes for twenty years and had a good reputation in his country. He offered to refund my money or send me a new ignitor.

I checked with a couple of other outfits here in the US (including the Ebay Dynatek dealer, who was advertising that the Dyna 2000 would work with the GS250. He replied that he had made a mistake and it wouldn't) and they all said their parts wouldn't work on my bike.

So I told the guy from Europe to send me a new one.

We'll see what happens. I'll let you know.

In the mean time, I've ordered a bunch of new parts for the bike. Also, I went to my local vinyl graphics guy and he is fixing me up with new decals for the side panels.

If I can make the thing fire so I have an idea what the motor needs, I'll start tearing it apart so I can clean and paint and put it back together all nice and new.

Thanks for your help. I've cut the list below and pasted it into a Word file, just in case.

Thanks again, I'll be around, and I'll let you know about the new ignitor.

Comment

The no fit dyna might be an interference problem on your bike- I don't know. Hopefully, the replacement unit will work correctly this time.
                  1981 gs650L

Comment

Sorry I haven't chimed in until now... my research says the DS3-3C *will* go into your bike.

Your signal generator plate is the same as used on the 450's as is the ignitor.

You will however need to get them to include the spacer they supply in the kits for the bigger bikes (either the DS3-1 or DS3-2, can't remember now).

The spacer is necessary because the kit is designed for the GS400's that have points, and the rotor/cam for the points is a bit shorter than the rotor for our electronic ignition.

Oh, you need to get HT leads if you go this path as the kit contains coils but not leads.

When I got my DS3-3C, it was only known it would work on the GS400's... we now know it will work on the GS400, 425, 450, and the 250. It's just that noone has actually put one on a 250 as yet and told Dynatek about it...
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Great news!

Well, the Belgian company had me send the first ignitor back, and they sent me a new one.

I plugged it in, charged the battery, and had great spark.
                      So I put the plugs in and stuck the tank back on the bike and started it up!

After 34 years and who knows how many shade-tree mechanics trying to fix the old girl, she's up and running.

One strange thing: The company tested the original unit and it worked for them. They sent me a video showing the sparks flying. I don't know why it wouldn't work on my bike. I'm hoping I don't have a short or something somewhere that is going to show up when I'm on a ride thirty miles from home sometime.

At any rate, thanks for the info on the Dynatek parts. If I have any more trouble, I'll know where to go. Also, I do recommend the Belgian company. They took great care of me.

I'll get their name and post it here so people have a resource if they need it.

In the meantime, I've already torn the bike down for restoration. I'll post info and pictures along the way.

Thanks again for the help!

Comment

That is great news, glad to hear it!
                        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                        X