battery keeps discharging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

battery keeps discharging?

New battery, new stator and new rectifier. Battery still goes dead after about half an hour. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?
    1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Bad connection somewhere (duh, right...)

That's about the time it takes to completely drain a good battery if there's no charging happening - know this because of my bad R/R experience on the 1100.

Have a multi-meter? One of the smart guys will come along soon with a reading to look for downstream of the R/R. My guess is that yours is reading 0.

Good luck!

Comment

Do the quick test in my signature report the results. Do test after charging battery.

Comment

Ok, I did the test. 12.9 charge, 12.2 when ignition is on (there's an electric fuel pump that runs automatically), 12.2 at idle, 12.3 at any rpm above that!?
        1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

There are 6 steps, if you report them ALL, posplayr can steer you !
          By the way, what kind/brand /type of R/R did you get?
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

1. 12.7
            2. 12.1
            3. 12.16
            4. 12.2
            5. 12.2
            6. 12.6

The r/r is off of ebay. The sator is Ricks.

I removed all of the connectors and used barrel crimps on them. They are SOLID. The r/r is grounded directly to the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by turbojonn View Post
              Ok, I did the test. 12.9 charge, 12.2 when ignition is on (there's an electric fuel pump that runs automatically), 12.2 at idle, 12.3 at any rpm above that!?
              The electric fuel pump changes everything. The quick test is for standard non EFI loads.

How much current is your system drawing , how much on the pump?

Comment

1. 12.7
                2. 12.1
                3. 12.16
                4. 12.2
                5. 12.2
                6. 12.6

The r/r is off of ebay. The sator is Ricks.

I removed all of the connectors and used barrel crimps on them. They are SOLID. The r/r is grounded directly to the battery.
                If the fuel pump is drawing too much current you have problems. Are you using a pwm pump controller or just recirculating?

A compufire would be best but you maybe too far off for it to do any good. The electro sport stator might help some as well but I suspect you ate drawing 5 + amps.

Comment

Is the fuel pump and lights on when key is on? And you still measure 12.2v?

Comment

I don't know what the pump os drawing. Its a tiny pump and there is no return to the tank. Other than the pump and 2 gauge lights its stock. Should the stator not be able to handle one accessory? Is it possible for a battery to be the culprit? What's the deak with no voltage change over the rpm range? Thanks in advance. Oh, I'll find out about the pump amperage.

Comment

Yes to the fuel pump and light being on and 12.2.

Comment

The fuel pump draws 1 amp.

Comment

The fuel pump draws 1 amp.
                          one amp is not an issue. It does not appear to be charging at all. If the R/R getting hot? If the stator is new ,I would swap out the R/R you should see something and you are just getting nothing. Like the R/R is not even connected. Is there a series fuse that blew?

Comment

I didn't see any series fuses. I"ll take a closer look. Before I swapped r/r I noticed the last one would get hot. I'll feel the new one for heet tomorrow. Thanks for all the guidance, I really appreciate it.

Comment

Can the three stator wires be hooked up in any order?

Comment

Working...
                              X