GS1000 Charging/Electrical Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 Charging/Electrical Issues

Been working on all sorts of other pieces of the bike as you'll see from other threads... and so far I've been ignoring the electrical. Well times up. Tried starting it the other day after the battery being fully charged a day before and it had very little juice.

Just tested the battery a bit
    - 13 volts with key off
    - about 12.5 with key on, lights on but bike not started
    - 14.5 volts at idle
    - 16.5 volts at 4000 rpms
    - up to 17volts at 6000 rpms
    Seems to be a problem or two here from what I've read so far.

I've started reading the stator papers and have bought a good multimeter. My bike has two units for the regulator / rectifier which I'm seeing is rare and it's adding a challenge for me to interpret the testing procedures.

I know I'm in for a lot of learning, but as a start if I describe the wiring for the two units can anyone comment on whether it's correct, completely crazy etc..

Both units have the grey metal with fins... both mounted under the left hand panel. (sorry my camera died, no pictures). The upper left one (I'll call it UNIT 1) looks exactly like the typical regulatar/rectifier with 3 yellow wires coming out, one red and one black to ground.
    The other unit (UNIT 2) has 5 wires white with bluestripe, white with red stripe, red, yellow and a black wire that loops around and grounds on the unit itself.

All three yellows from UNIT 1 head off to what I assume is the AC Generator
    From UNIT 2 the red and yellow are not connected to anything, the white with blue stripe heads off to the AC Generator and the white with red strip joins up with a large bundle in the main wiring harness...

Thanks.

Ones your regulator the other is your rectifier. Throw them both out and get yourself one of the those SH775 reg/rec. At the same time order yourself a new stator, a Ricks or an Electrosport, and be done with your charging system. It's money well spent and gives a lot of peace of mind. By the look of your numbers your stator is ok but you need to replace your regulator and rectifier. I guess you could just do that and wait for the day your stator gives if you want to save some $$$ right now.
    Last edited by azr; 05-23-2014, 03:48 PM.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Some/lots of pre 1980 suzukis had seperate rectifier (unit 1) and regulator (unit 2) -later models got combo units. Your regulator is no good as it's letting voltage climb above 15 volts -bad news! Good news is that you can ditch unit 1 and 2 and replace with a series R/R and simplify your charging system. Those 3 yellows are likely from stator and need to go to your new R/R, but test your stator first (though it seems good). Basscliff has info

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

You need to replace the regulator pronto. Get the SH-775 and don't run it till you have it swapped out.

Comment

Depending on how long this has been going on, you may need a stator also. The only way to know is to remove and inspect the stator or run a test on it with a megger. If you don't want to go that far now, expect the stator to fail later. Mine lasted almost a year to the day after I installed a series R/R. Over voltage will boil out your battery, make bulbs fail and burn the stator. Visual inspection, you are looking for dark colored varnish on the stator. If it is anything but a medium amber color, damage has occurred, how long it will last is a crap shoot. I have a '78 and '79 that both had that failure and burnt the stators.
          '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

ok I"m convinced. Recommendations on where do you order the SH-775 from?

Also this is not likely to solve my draining battery is it? I assume it was still charging though with the voltage too high, am I getting that right?

If so the drained battery was due to a short somewhere?

Comment

You can order it from any Polaris dealer, ebay... They're all over the place. Part number:4012941 It will be marked SH775BA

A bad R/R can cause battery drain issues.
              Last edited by JTGS850GL; 05-23-2014, 05:04 PM.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

2011 R11HR76AG/AR Ranger 6X6 800 EFI 35A 3PH Series Regulator 105C 4012941 (SH-775) Triumph part number T2500676 for SH-775 (plug harness)
                '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertGS1000 View Post

Also this is not likely to solve my draining battery is it? I assume it was still charging though with the voltage too high, am I getting that right?

I'm not sure about the drain but you are over charging which pretty much rules out a stator but points right at the regulation portion of the R/R.

Fix that first and then move on to the next. The R/R is faulty and it could also be creating a drain. At this point who knows and it is not worth pursuing because it might just go away after you replace the R/R.

Comment

ok the sh-775 and plug harness have been ordered. Will update when it arrives. I assume I'll have a few mounting and wiring questions.

Thanks everyone

Comment

Originally posted by RobertGS1000 View Post

Is your battery draining while the bike and key are off?
                      If so the one way diode in the rectifier is the most likely culprit.
                      That was most likely caused by the overcharging.
                      It may be a short but most likely the diode.

Buying the two in one unit as stated above will fix that also.

Comment

While you're waiting for the new R/R, disconnect the R/R +12V outlet wire from the fuse box and see if your battery drain issue is resolved. My bet is it is.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Sounds like a good check. Assuming I can find where the R/R 12V outlet enters the fuse box can I check for current in that fuse instead while the bike is off (rather then waiting for the battery to drain)? I'm new to most things electrical including using multimeters. I assume there is a setting for showing current flow.

Comment

The R/R output (red wire) should go into a separate bullet connector on the main harness. You'll need to disconnect it anyway so just go ahead and pull the R/R out. Just make note of were everything goes. Best to take pictures since pictures work better then most memories.
                            Last edited by JTGS850GL; 05-24-2014, 02:38 PM.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Thanks I'll pull both the old rectifier and regulator out after taking pictures. First I'll check for current at all the fuses with the key off.

Comment

Working...
                              X