Plug colour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plug colour

I know its been asked before, do these look like they should. Just come back from a 45mile ride and pulled the plugs:

A bit LEAN for my tastes.

More important would be some specific "plug chops".

Hold a specific throttle position for a while, hit the "kill" switch, pull the clutch, coast to a stop, THEN read the plugs.

The specific throttle settings would be FULL, to read the main jets, HALF, to read the needles and 1/8 to 1/4 to read the pilots.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm going to disagree with Steve. I think they look just fine.

How does the bike start and respond to you?
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Assuming they are in order, #3 is the best one, in my book.

Yeah, the others aren't bad, but definitley would not go any leaner.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It stats fine and will still go well north of three figures

Comment

Good colour and if she runs well keep on riding it.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

They look great, # 3 in my book is actually a little rich.

Ride it.

Cheers

Comment

If this is a good average burn, # three is about perfect. That is the color of my baffle plate on my 4-1 exhaust which is probably a better overall average indicator of how it is adjusted.
                '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I think we can all agree on one thing: you Brits spell "color" funny.

(Plugs look okay to me.)
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by bbjumper View Post
                    They look great, # 3 in my book is actually a little rich.

Ride it.

Cheers
                    Agreed it's a tad rich, #4 is a tad lean but neither are anything to cry home about.

All is good, continue riding, check in when something has gone wrong

Comment

I am out of my comfort zone when it comes to carbs. The bike has a stock airbox (with added draught excluder) and a Motad 4-1. The Intake rubbers (new o-rings) & the rubbers between the airbox and carbs are still 'rubbery'. The carbs have had new o-rings (28 intotal I think).
                      My initial thought was that 1,2 & 4 were a little 'lean', most of my riding that day was done at about 60mph with some overtaking , is it a case of adjusting a screw on each carb by 1/4 turn or am I reading too much into it and should just ride it!! But the last thing I want to do is burn a valve out, the chrome headers are a nice blue colour, but in her defence she has had some enthusiastic riding over the last couple of days
                      The cylinders have recently been honed and pistons re-ringed (comression is about 140psi cold), valves lapped (new valve stem seals) and shims checked (0.06-0.1 exhaust and 0.04 to 0.08 intake).

Comment

Although you plugs look pretty good after that short ride, I would say that number three looks closer to ideal. Yes, I would unscrew number 1,2 & 4 fuel/air screws out about 1/8 of a turn and, if you have not already done so,
                        go up 2-3 sizes on the main jets because of your pipe. The U.S. spec models came with 110 mains so I would use either 115's or most likely 117.5 main jets. What main jet size do your Euro spec 650 models come with?

Comment

Leave the jets alone! It's a Motad.

Colour is fine but if it makes you feel any better tweak the mixture screws associated with the 3 lighter plugs out next to nothing. If anyone riding behind you then complains of smelling petrol you can always wind them in a touch.
                          79 GS1000S
                          79 GS1000S (another one)
                          80 GSX750
                          80 GS550
                          80 CB650 cafe racer
                          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

One of the jobs I need to do is check the head bolts and shims (as it was re-ringed about 500 miles ago - I know I should have done it earlier) so while the tank is off I will adjust the screws a tiny bit, I am also going to install a clear vacuum hose so that I can check the petcock operation.

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                              Leave the jets alone! It's a Motad.
                              What does this mean?

Flows no more than a stock pipe?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X