gs550 wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs550 wont start

let me start by saying I dont know a lot about motorcycles at all.

I have a 1981 gs550 which has been running well for about a year. recently It had started cutting off out of no where. The other day I rode to the store and when i got back on it to ride home it would not start. I left it for a few hours then tried again while it was cold and it started right back up again but died in the middle of the street on the way home.

now it only cranks over sometimes. I went out this morning and it fired right up I rode it around in the parking lot a little and it seemed fine. I just went out to try to start it again but it wouldnt fire up. what could be the problem?

What maintenance has been done?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      What maintenance has been done?
      nothing sense I got it.

Comment

Can't expect a 35 year old motorcycle to run forever without any maintenance can you?
        Start here:

Everything you need to know is there somewhere.

Comment

What's the battery voltage at rest and idle? Is fuel getting to the carbs and then into the engine properly? Do what Tom said and go through the maintenance
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Can't expect a 35 year old motorcycle to run forever without any maintenance can you?
            Start here:

Everything you need to know is there somewhere.
            I never said I expected it to run forever i'm just looking for help to get it running again. Thanks you for the link but something so broad doesnt really help me is there any way you can point in a more specific direction?
            Last edited by Guest; 05-25-2014, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              What's the battery voltage at rest and idle? Is fuel getting to the carbs and then into the engine properly? Do what Tom said and go through the maintenance
              I dont have a voltage tester so I have no idea what the voltage is. I dont think its a fuel problem because it runs fine when it does run but I could be wrong .

Comment

Where do you live? Some of us might be close enough to lend a hand

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Originally posted by Quest View Post
                  Thanks you for the link but something so broad doesnt really help me is there any way you can point in a more specific direction?
                  Not without a better description of what it isn't doing. What you describe can be anything.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                    Where do you live? Some of us might be close enough to lend a hand
                    I live in lynchburg VA. if anyone around the area could help I would really appreciate it.

Comment

Not without a better description of what it isn't doing. What you describe can be anything.
                      thank you very much. hopefully someone else is willing to help me because I dont know much about motorcycles and it doesnt seem like you are interested in helping me. I dont know what Im supposed to tell you guys about the problem because I know nothing but I'm trying to learn.

Comment

Read. Learn. Get a meter. Fix it.

Can't see Jack from here.

Comment

Tkent is right and is trying to help you but there are many different reasons for the basic symptoms you described. Getting the basic set of tools and running through the initial maintenance is needed for anyone to help you, especially when you are talking to people around the world.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Read. Learn. Get a meter. Fix it.

Can't see Jack from here.
                            again thank you for your help. sorry if I came of rude but to be honest you are making this process more frustrating with your comments. I'm not trying to make enemy's I'm just trying to get my bike running. and I dont know where to start.

Comment

Originally posted by Quest View Post
                              I dont know where to start.
                              Then start here.

Comment

Working...
                              X