Compufire for dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compufire for dummies

Im getting ready to do the compufire install on my 1978 Gs1000 and Im a little unclear on a few things.

Here is the verbiage I found on wiring:

"When the old units are removed, one of the white/blue, and yellow connectors are abandoned
    That left a green/white, white/blue and yellow wire to connect to the Compufire #14AWG wire. I cut the attached plug off of these wires, but retained the A, B, C position of the wires from the Compufire with a clockwise rotation of the Stator poles starting with green/white=A, white/blue=B and yellow=C."

Unfortunately Im not 100% sure which direction the A,B,C is

Here is what I have:

Here is what I am replacing:

Since I dont see the green/white.... I found this install verbiage:

"I also plugged the green/white wire and white/red wire together that were abandoned. they loop the green/white Stator wire through the handlebar switch to disable that Stator wire when the light is turned off."

I take that to mean that I need to follow the wiring harness back towards the stator until I find the green/white? Assuming once I do this I will find the green/white and the red/white... do I tie them into each other?

So:
    Wire 1: Ground to frame
    Wire 2: Connect to C
    Wire 3: ?
    Wire 4: ?
    Wire 5: ?
    Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2014, 12:39 PM.

Wires 3, 4 and 5 go directly to the three stator output wires. Order doesn't matter. Color doesn't matter.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

awesome thanks.

tracing the wires back did reveal the green white. It also revealed the split in the blue/white and yellow that went to the silver box on the left in my picture. Cutting the split out allowed me to remove the silver box.

I didnt end up looping anything into anything as the headlight still worked.

Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2014, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Much cleaner install. Now to clean up the wires a bit. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Working...
        X