SH775 placement on GS425e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SH775 placement on GS425e

So I've been scratching my head looking at this oversized R/R for the past couple weeks trying to figure out where in the hell it is possibly going to fit on my little GS425. I finally decided on a small luggage area inside the rear seat fairing. It looks like it was originally intended for something wallet/small purse sized, or slightly larger. It will take a bit of wiring to reach the spot but should be tucked nicely out of sight when I finally complete the project. I'll be posting install updates and photos for those who might be attempting the same type of thing on their own builds in the future.

- GSP

The only catch with that location is air flow... R/R's need to get some air flow to keep them cool.

Mine's under my seat (no airbox) but I've had to compromise and the fins are perpendicular to air flow unfortunately but there's just no way around it with the size of it.
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post

Mine's under my seat (no airbox) but I've had to compromise and the fins are perpendicular to air flow unfortunately but there's just no way around it with the size of it.
      Mine's under rear tank mount, your legs divert/disturb airflow, so don't worry about fins being perpendicular. I can put my fingers on my SH-775 after a good ride on hot day (maybe coming soon here!) and have seen no sign of heat.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Cool, good to know Tom! I keep forgetting to see how the temperature is during a ride so can't really comment on mine at the moment...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          Mine's under rear tank mount, your legs divert/disturb airflow, so don't worry about fins being perpendicular. I can put my fingers on my SH-775 after a good ride on hot day (maybe coming soon here!) and have seen no sign of heat.
          Got any pics? I'm planning on installing a Dynatek ignition on my GS450 later on down the road to make room under the side cover for that monster of a SH775, but I have no idea where to put it in the meantime. I'd prefer to mount it so that it's rubber isolated.

Comment

Well, of course; the SH-775 is upside down; I just uses spade connectors to save space (and money). Actually it's cantilvered mounted to a triangular piece of aluminum- sorta flexible as is, but rubber isolation would probably be better

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              I can't find any room to put it other than in this storage area. I have it jerry rigged up right now as I'm testing and it seems to work, although it does get a bit warm. Not too hot to touch, but definitely warm. Maybe there is a way for me to pull air into there to keep it cooled off?

Comment

Not sure how the tail piece setup is on the 425's, but maybe you could install a 12V PC fan as an extraction fan? Don't push the air with it, pull the hot air out instead... and maybe see if you could somehow get some sort of duct in from each side so the fan has a source to pull the cool air from.

sigpic

Comment

I understand your bike is different, but here are a couple ideas.

Here is one of the places I mocked up the 775 on my 1100EZ: This is the back side of the stock mounting plate, using the factory R/R mounting holes...so it is isolated in rubber mounts. I did have to flip it upside down, though. There is enough clearance for the harness plugs when the seat is installed. I also used a couple of the protective rubber boots from my old harness to cover the plugs to keep out the weather.

This location was directly inspired by Tom203. I made this little bracket for under the fuel tank mount. Fits nicely, but needs to be isolated with rubber mounts. I have the advantage of pod filters, so the lack of an air box makes for all kinds of room and a clean install.

I hope these were of some help
                  Last edited by Cassius086; 06-04-2014, 08:46 AM.
                  Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius086 View Post
                    I understand your bike is different, but here are a couple ideas.

Here is one of the places I mocked up the 775 on my 1100EZ: This is the back side of the stock mounting plate, using the factory R/R mounting holes...so it is isolated in rubber mounts. I did have to flip it upside down, though. There is enough clearance for the harness plugs when the seat is installed. I also used a couple of the protective rubber boots from my old harness to cover the plugs to keep out the weather.

This location was directly inspired by Tom203. I made this little bracket for under the fuel tank mount. Fits nicely, but needs to be isolated with rubber mounts. I have the advantage of pod filters, so the lack of an air box makes for all kinds of room and a clean install.

I hope these were of some help
                    Cassius, those ideas are solid, but running stock on the 425 leaves me almost no room in there. Also, the back side of the stock plate is my airbox. = \ ... The fan idea sounds plausible but I will certainly need to fabricate a bit to make it work. In any case I really appreciate the group brainstorming. Keep it comin'.

GSP

Comment

You know...my KLR (again, completely different) has the R/R mounted on the inside of the rear inner fender under the seat, just behind and above the battery.

I'll take a photo this evening.
                      Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

Working...
                      X