Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drain the oil before changing the stator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drain the oil before changing the stator?

I have an 81 400L, and it needs a new stator. I ordered one yesterday, just waiting for it to arrive, hopefully next week.

The BikeCliff tutorial says it's best to drain the oil before you start, as you have to open up the crank case. I would rather not have to do that, as I just loaded the bike with fresh oil barely two months ago.

I read that you can lean the bike the opposite way to keep the oil from leaking out, but that sounds kinda dodgy. I'd think there would still be oil leaking out with the crank case opened up, no?

Also, if anyone has done the 'lean the bike over' trick to keep oil in, what did you lean the bike against that wouldn't tip over or scratch up the tank or something like that?

Would it be okay just on the center stand, or is this still not enough to keep oil from pouring out?

Any tips and tricks are appreciated!

Center stand won't work . Lean the bike to the right against something solid - post, wall, etc. block tires and/or lash bike so it won't roll while you attack stator. very little oil will drip. Did you get new stator gasket? got an impact driver? these are JIS screw heads, not american
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The stator screws are hard to remove because the screws holding it are locked with insulating varnish. I lay my stator cover on a sandbag with a towel to prevent scratching. The sandbag will mold to the cover hold it in place so you have both hands free for the impact driver. Makes it easy to remove the screws without ruining the screw heads. Use a good thread locker when you put it back together.
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Easy enough to do on the center stand, in the middle of the garage. Just put a 2x4 under the left foot of the stand.
        The amount of oil that drips will depend on how long you wait after tipping the bike. It won't be more than a spoonful.

Note the new stator gasket.

The bike is remarkably stable, so no worries there.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I didn't get a new stator gasket. Am I for sure going to need one? Is there no chance of reusing the old one?

Comment

Depends on whether or not it comes off in one piece. If it's been on there since 1980 it's not real likely, but if some PO did it and used grease or something on the gasket it might.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Z1 enterprises is a good source for gaskets. I have used their gaskets for both covers with no leaks. Might as well order the valve cover gasket too, you will need to adjust the valves.
              '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

The side stand angle of lean is more than enough to keep the oil in when visiting the clutch side. When the bike is on tiptoe you need to keep an eye to it so it doesn't walk off the stand/block. It's real easy to forget the stand when you have a breaker bar swinging out of a hub nut.
                Lock and chock.
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

All good advice, thanks folks!

Comment

I was worried I'd have a hard time with the Phillips head bolts, so just to see if I could, I tried loosening them with a little socket wrench and a Phillips bit.

Success!

Looks like PO had taken the cover off the crank case once before, the Phillips bolts all had a bit of wear on the heads, but the came off with a good twist.

Still haven't gotten the stator in the mail yet, but I'm in Canada and it's coming from California.

Maybe I'll use the mean time to refurbish the Phillips bolts with some stainless Allen bolts, and check around town for the new gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                      The side stand angle of lean is more than enough to keep the oil in when visiting the clutch side. When the bike is on tiptoe you need to keep an eye to it so it doesn't walk off the stand/block. It's real easy to forget the stand when you have a breaker bar swinging out of a hub nut.
                      Lock and chock.
                      It's worthwhile mentioning to newbies how to lock the stand - put a slim screwdriver blade into the lined-up holes you'll see at the top of the stand and push it through.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                        It's worthwhile mentioning to newbies how to lock the stand - put a slim screwdriver blade into the lined-up holes you'll see at the top of the stand and push it through.
                        Some GSes don't have any such hole.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          Some GSes don't have any such hole.
                          It's such a useful thing I'd weld on an extra bit to make it so.
                          ---- Dave
                          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Some newbies can't weld.

A strap through the front wheel does the same thing.

Comment

Yeah I crawled around underneath the bike looking for a spot to thread a screwdriver through the center stand, but my bike doesn't have that.

Lock and chock seems the way to go for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X