Stator for GSX400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator for GSX400

I have an 86 GS400S (GSX400) which I believe has a bad stator. I actually purchased the Polaris regulator but decided to take my sweet time to replace it.. now I believe my stator has gone toast. Previously I tested the stator by disconnecting it from the regulator and testing the AC output phase to phase and it showed it rising upto 80V on from A-B B-C A-C.

A few nights ago I went for a ride with a friend 2 up and all was well, next morning I fired up the bike to move it then later when I went to start it a few hours later it started but suddenly died. After 2 more attempts it would not turn over with the lights dimmed. Today I removed the battery and hooked up the bike to my car battery (not running) The bike started right up as it had before the failure. I tested the stator again and the AC output was normal from A-C and B-C but nothing from A-B.. except 2 V tops no matter the rpm. I suspect my stator to be the issue. I have located the one for the bike which I believe to be the same as a GS450..

My question is did I do the right procedure?

Also should I go with an electrosport or an oem? I live in Canada.

The one I was looking at is the ESG014 model which I believe to be the one for my bike. Price is an issue here but I don't want to sacrifice quality and reliability. I will be installing that along with a battery which I am exchanging at walmart and a new Polaris R/R.

Your input would be appreciated. Thank you.

I can't help with the diagnosis as much as some here, but I can tell you this: if your stator is the same as what's in a 1980 GS450, you could use a stator from a GS500 (all years). The best thing about a GS500 stator aside from practically being new, they are at bike breakers everywhere for a cheap price.

Comment

Originally posted by londongs400 View Post
      I have an 86 GS400S (GSX400) which I believe has a bad stator. I actually purchased the Polaris regulator but decided to take my sweet time to replace it.. now I believe my stator has gone toast. Previously I tested the stator by disconnecting it from the regulator and testing the AC output phase to phase and it showed it rising upto 80V on from A-B B-C A-C.

A few nights ago I went for a ride with a friend 2 up and all was well, next morning I fired up the bike to move it then later when I went to start it a few hours later it started but suddenly died. After 2 more attempts it would not turn over with the lights dimmed. Today I removed the battery and hooked up the bike to my car battery (not running) The bike started right up as it had before the failure. I tested the stator again and the AC output was normal from A-C and B-C but nothing from A-B.. except 2 V tops no matter the rpm. I suspect my stator to be the issue. I have located the one for the bike which I believe to be the same as a GS450..

My question is did I do the right procedure?

Also should I go with an electrosport or an oem? I live in Canada.

The one I was looking at is the ESG014 model which I believe to be the one for my bike. Price is an issue here but I don't want to sacrifice quality and reliability. I will be installing that along with a battery which I am exchanging at walmart and a new Polaris R/R.

Your input would be appreciated. Thank you.
      The phase b stator tests are only valid if you fail. It is easy to get a false positive. That is why I revised the phase b stator test to include leg to ground tests at 5k rpm as well. This is like a poor man's m megger test see gs charging health in my signature.

If you did in fact fail on a leg to leg test then you can be assured of a failure. I would suggest a retest of revised phase b to be absolutely sure of your conclusions.

Read gs stator in my signature for the answer to your r/r question.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Rich View Post
        you could use a stator from a GS500 (all years). The best thing about a GS500 stator aside from practically being new, they are at bike breakers everywhere for a cheap price.

Are you saying that I can pop in a newer GS500 stator and it would work? There is a wreckers here but the guy is an a#a hole so I would rather not deal with him. If I were going to buy new, what stator should I get?

Comment

I've never looked into compatibility with the 400X motor, so you would have to check into for yourself. But when I bought my GS450 I knew from the get go that it would need a new stator. I bolted in a stator from a GS500 and had no problems whatsoever. Well, I bought a R/R from the same bike so that helped with the wiring a little.

You'll definitely want to do some research before spending any $...... I just wanted to mention it may be a possibility.

Comment

Are you saying that I can pop in a newer GS500 stator and it would work? There is a wreckers here but the guy is an a#a hole so I would rather not deal with him. If I were going to buy new, what stator should I get?
            Simple way to do that is to x-reff the type numbers from stator makers, like Electrosport list the same ESG14 for different GS models.
            I know for a stone fact the same stator will fit GS850s, for example.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Due to budget reasons. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with "Caltric" stators from ebay.

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Stator for Suzuki GS550E GS550L GS750B GS750C 1977-1979 New at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

The price seems reasonable and is much cheaper than the electrosport ones or OEM I'm assuming.

What do you guys think? I am upgrading the R/R anyways to a series from a polaris that I purchased.. would this stator work well?

Comment

Due to budget reasons. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with "Caltric" stators from ebay.

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Stator for Suzuki GS550E GS550L GS750B GS750C 1977-1979 New at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

The price seems reasonable and is much cheaper than the electrosport ones or OEM I'm assuming.

What do you guys think? I am upgrading the R/R anyways to a series from a polaris that I purchased.. would this stator work well?
                If you really want to go as cheap as poss, go aliexpress and look for the GS500e stator.
                You can be the guinea pig
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I seem to remember a thread on here where Basscliff was going to try them out; you might want to drop him a PM and see what he has to say.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yeah, Bassciff was/is using Caltric stator. I'd try one -should be fine with the SH-775. Probably, no more chinese than the ES and Ricks units. If you get one, please take a pic and post ,as I'd like to see their winding skills!
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Actually I went ahead and ES #014 from their website. It seems that ordering from their website was way cheaper than ordering from any other online retailer that ships to Canada including Canadian ones. We do really pay for more up here wow. All said and done it came to around $175CD. Not sure if that's a good deal or not but I don't want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere and paired with the new R/R I figure it should last the life of the bike.. which I am not planning on selling any time soon since it's the perfect size for me.

In the meantime, I am going to try and find a suitable location for the R/R by possibly moving some other units around since I purchased the polaris with the triumph connection to make things nicer so it's bulky. Also some rewiring is in order I believe. I am going to be adding a fusebox.

I will also be draining the oil and purchasing a new gasket for the stator side cover. I live in a condo so the less mess the better.

My plan is to attach one end of the + R/R to the battery post on the battery post of the starter solenoid, the other + to the wiring harness, each fused ( Still not sure about fuse size so input would be appreciated)...the (-) will be going back to the battery and also under a bolt close by attached to the frame, shaved down and coated with dielectric grees.

Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong. With this upgrade I may just do the coil relay mod going back to the fusebox.. which I may place in the tail section or screw it to the plastic of the rear fender just bellow the seat where it curves into the frame..

I am wondering if it's possible to control the high and low beams on one relay. This may require it's own thread but I have been wondering about this. I have looked at the relay at it seems pretty much like a mini DC version of the High V, High Current Relays I use in very large industrial machines (I am an electrician).. If anyone has tried this please let me know since electrical is electrical.. but DC is not AC and more sensitive to VDrop and also easier to blow up.

Thanks again

Comment

That' fine-good pairing. but brings up the wiring direct to battery or into harness choice- do some light reading! Me? I'm into harness all the way!

then later
                        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                          That' fine-good pairing. but brings up the wiring direct to battery or into harness choice- do some light reading! Me? I'm into harness all the way!

then later
                          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...9&postcount=28

Thank you for that. You just saved me some possible headache. I will wire it as it came from the factory. What does everyone do with the extra lead from the connector?

Comment

Thank you for that. You just saved me some possible headache. I will wire it as it came from the factory. What does everyone do with the extra lead from the connector?
                            Wrap it up and ignor it

Comment

Working...
                            X