1978 GS 550 Draining battery Wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS 550 Draining battery Wont start

My bike is draining the battery, and not getting a charge back to it. Any idea where I should start, as far as what parts could be bad? I have found that it is probably my stator or my voltage regulator.

Is there a way I could narrow it down?

Any input would be appreciated. Supposed to take the bike for a 12 hr ride in a week, so I'm scrambling to figure this out.

Thanks.

Start here........

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

Even better click on posplayr charging checks in his signature

Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
      1983 GS 750

Comment

It also seems very odd, that my bike will fire right up on a jump, but I can kick it all day and it wont fire. Does this seem unusual, or does it seem like something i can attribute to my other problems?

Comment

Just tell me you're not using a running car to jump it ?
          1983 GS 750

Comment

If someone has put an electronic ignition in it, it will not start if your battery is low.
            '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Ha, no not a running car.

Comment

Is there a way I'd be able to recognize the difference between electronic or not?

Comment

If it doesn't have points it's electronic. Do the simple test in post 2 to check your voltage at various revs than get back to us with the results....
                  1983 GS 750

Comment

Turns out the battery was bad. Getting a new one tomorrow. Going to see what I can find after replacing that.

Comment

At idle I'm getting about 12.4v at 6000 rpm, im getting a jump to about 12.8v. Safe to assume just the bad battery? were working on testing stator now.

Comment

Nope. That voltage is too low to charge the battery. Should be around 14-14.5v at 4000 rpm.
                        Last edited by bccap; 06-10-2014, 01:02 PM.
                        1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bkostiuk View Post
                          At idle I'm getting about 12.4v at 6000 rpm, im getting a jump to about 12.8v. Safe to assume just the bad battery? were working on testing stator now.
                          if you reported all the Quick Test numbers it would be easier to tell what is going on.

Comment

Stator resistance was .9 ohms on all 3 coils
                            75-85v when at 6k rpm
                            No continuity either way on any wires of voltage regulator.

Comment

Not sure what numbers youre looking for on a "quicktest"

Comment

Working...
                              X