Road trip prep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road trip prep

A little ignition trouble a couple weeks ago, so I bought the Dyna S for my 850. Easy install, bit of a do figuring out the 2-3 timing without a proper mark as is found on 1-4 side. I got it pretty darn good, but I'll need to do the degree wheel thing for perfection before I go. I also adjusted the valves, glad I didn't wait as it needed it. Got new brakes for the front to put on, changed the oil with Rotella 15-40. Did a pull & look inspection of just about every wiring plug I could find. Lubed up the speedo & tack cables, still need to see about the condition of the clutch cable, I think it's newer, tho. Since I pulled the stock ignition, and it still works, I'm wondering if it's a good or bad idea to sell it. I had an intermittent no start problem that never resulted in a definite diagnosis. I cleaned up a couple wiring connections that were just tape jobs, and added another ground from the battery and did not get a repeat of the problem. Maybe somebody on the forum wants that little magic box for the cost of shipping? I think it's all good, it never missed a beat, I just wanted the peace of mind that comes with new Dyna stuff if I'm traveling. If I were just staying close to home I wouldn't have bothered.

They are pretty close from the factory so I wouldn't worry about it. What's up with the missing marks? Mine were surface rusted over, but a good cleaning with a stainless steel wire brush brought them back. Someone must have done something really odd if they are missing.
    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

The advance marks on the 2-3 side were never there. All I have is a (I assume) TDC mark followed by the 2-3 numbers. I hear guys use a degree wheel to locate and scribe a mark on that side for the full advance position.

Comment

Don't worry about it. The springs are the same. If 1-4 is set properly for timing and advance, and 2-3 is set properly for timing, it's already set for advance. At that point, you are dealing with rpm and spring pressure so it will be the same for both cylinder pairs.
        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
        X