No announcement yet.

Hopefully a stupid question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you find that to be the problem, you should use a little antioxidant after you clean them. Noalox is good but even ChapStick will work, just to help the contacts stay clean longer.
    Good luck
    Rich

Comment

Well I cleaned to points of contact and tried it. No go, I also was holding it my hand when I did it. Then dropped the little copper piece that is held by the spring. Now just have to get it out of the engine.... smallest space. Then will try again after putting it back together.

Comment

If you didn't bypass it, be aware that the guts of the clutch safety switch (under the clutch lever) can get dirty like that too and fail to make contact.

That switch also needs to be adjusted properly to make contact... and it has a little spring, etc. to lose.

Comment

A good tip when taking these apart is to wrap a plastic baggie around the whole assembly, stick a screwdriver through the baggie to take it apart. That way the little spring will not end up in neverfindland. Had the same problem with mine and had to clean all the contacts. There was something about the way I put it back together the first time. I had it reversed and it did not work. Went back in and realized that I had reversed the contact point.

Comment

Well I took the contact point off of my other bike and cleaned it up. Put it on one of the bikes and it worked. Just cleaning it up did the trick. Now I have to figure out an easy way to clean the carbs so I can start it.

Comment

Originally posted by partagas View Post
              ..... Now I have to figure out an easy way to clean the carbs so I can start it.
              Just follow the guidelines (it's overwhelming) and avoid cutting corners- bikes that have sat idle for years will be challenging,especially if you haven't done this before.
              Getting the carbs off/on the 650 is no fun, the 850 is easier (more room)
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by rwnielsen View Post
                If you find that to be the problem, you should use a little antioxidant after you clean them. Noalox is good but even ChapStick will work, just to help the contacts stay clean longer.
                Good luck
                Rich
                I would suggest a spray can of Deoxit. It is a contact cleaner and protectant for electrical contacts. It is also much easier to use than any tips of smear on product, whether those alternatives work or not.

Comment

Working...
                X