Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 Suzuki GS550LD

Hello everyone.

I'm Joe, and purchased my bike maybe 5 years ago. I was able to get it running 5 years, but not well, so I stuck it in my shed where it has been sitting.

I've since resurrected the bike and am trying to get her road worthy.

I'm in the middle of refurbishing the gas tank, very rusty inside.

I've taken the carbs off, and cleaned them. After installing the carbs, I've noticed when you release the throttle it doesn't fully retract. It's not a cable issue, as there is play in the cable. If you let the throttle snap back it fully retracts. Any ideas?

After installing the carbs, I loads up the bowls with fuel and got it running, but it was again running very weak. So I checked for spark and only 2 cylinders are getting spark. I swapped the wiring on the coils to see if the problem was with the coils, but the no spark switched to the other cylinders, so the coils are good. I then went to look at the pickups. I was thinking I could unplug 1 pickup and see if the spark went away, determining if a pickup was bad. But when I removed one pickup I lost spark. I reconnected the pickup, and removed the other pickup and there was no spark. Do both pickups need to be installed to get any spark?

So I then went to the igniter. Ran the test with a 1.5 C size battery, connecting the negative battery lead to the ground wire, then the positive to the green, and then brown wire. I could not get a spark at the plugs with this test. I should have gotten spark from at least one side, right? I got nothing.

Any ideas on where I can go from here? A new igniter cost $700, I don't want to replace that unless I'm able to verify it is malfunctioning.

The bike is in great condition, but not worth repairing at that cost.

I appreciate your help !!

It is not the igniter in spite of what you may read on here.

Do the resistance test per the manual on the Basscliff website.
    It may be a bad pickup coil something you can source from ebay for a fraction of the price of OEM original parts.

I have driven my 550 for 31 years and over 70 000 kms without a prob from anything but a ignition coil and an ignition pickup pulsar coil.

Comment

I did the resistance test on the pickup side connector of the igniter. Both pickups had the same resistance, 353 I think, which was what it should be.

I went to the website you suggested and downloaded the manual. They have better tests which I will try.

Keep the suggestions coming !!

Comment

Working...
      X