Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing starter idler gear washers

Greetings,

First let me apologize if I have overlooked another thread addressing my issue already, but I have searched to no avail.

I am replacing the stator in a 1981 GS850G and having a dickens of a time replacing the left cover, mainly because of the inside washer of the starter idler gear.

Looking at the photos at http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...S850stator.pdf, it appears that the shaft of the starter idler gear remains attached to the bike (which would keep that washer where it is supposed to be).

However, in my case, that shaft came out with the side cover and does not appear to be removable (to put it back in with the gear and hold it all together). Thus, I have been forced to rest the gear in place with that inside washer stuck to it by whatever oil or magnetism I can muster. Then, of course, the washer falls down when I try to insert the side cover (with its attached shaft)…

Am I right that the shaft cannot be removed from the cover?

Is there some safe, short-term adhesive I could use to keep the washer place?

Any other ideas?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

remove the pin from the cover and move on.
    it WILL come out.

Comment

Put the pin and inner washer in first

Slide the gear on and fiddle with the starter and the big gear until it slides into place

Slide the other washer on

Put the cover on

The pin just sits there, it's not attached to either case
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

his pin is stuck...been there...done that.
        he thinks it is made to be like that..

ok we all know this i guess but the new guy..
        Last edited by blowerbike; 06-11-2014, 10:35 PM. Reason: edit

Comment

The new guy will try to extract said pin tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Comment

it happen's...it's happened to me more than once.
            try not to buug the finish on the pin but it WILL come out.

Comment

Was in there two days ago and the pin came off with the cover but was easy to pull out.
              I have no washers . Do I need one?
              Just checked the fiche - two washers needed. Maybe this is part of the clacking noise I've been hearing down there. Is there no limit to the shortcuts POs can take? ( rhetorical )
              I've got about 2mm axial play in the main ring gear is this normal?
              Last edited by Brendan W; 06-12-2014, 05:11 AM.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Yep, POs chucking away starter pin thrust washers is not unusual. Had me scratching my head looking for the missing one when I went to put the replacement stator/cover back on - wtf did I put it?
                Answer, it was never there in the first place as some PO had tossed it away. Unwilling to re-assemble without one, it caused a delay of a week to that part of the process.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Where did you find them?
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                    Where did you find them?
                    Shopify provides a reliable Ecommerce platform so you focus on selling online! Integrated hosting, shopping cart and Ecommerce payment solution all in one!

formerly London Suzuki Centre / Parts Direct; I got all my parts from them when I lived there, usually made a point of diverting slightly to pass their shop when leaving London.
                    Still great to deal with.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by steckmocr View Post
                      The new guy will try to extract said pin tomorrow. Thanks for the info.
                      If you have an oven you can use, heat up the case to 250 F or so, the carefully try to pull the pin out
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

250 F does the trick. One lightly toasted, but liberated pin. Thanks for the excellent tip!

Comment

Working...
                        X