testing reed switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

testing reed switch?

Anyone know how to test the reed switch in the speedo housing? I suspect that might be why my auto-cancelling turn signal function doesn't work. I've addressed all other parts of the system.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

The colors of the wires you're looking for should be on the wiring diagram on Basscliff's site. (I used to know the diagram pretty much by heart). Put a floor jack under the front of your exhaust with a 2x4 protecting the pipes, and raise the front wheel just off the ground. Put your ohmmeter across the two connections (reach into the harness connector) and rotate the front wheel.

[Edit: You're looking at the harness connector at the TSU.]

You should have contact / no contact pretty much continuously. I think it switches four times per revolution. (Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong).

A cheapo meter might be a little frustrating to use for this application, but you can tell when the meter changes from infinite resistance to near-zero. A decent analog meter would be ideal.
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Do a continuity test on the reed switch and spin the magnet in the speedometer. You should see it make and break continuity as the magnet passes the reed switch. If the later 850 models retained the turn signal control units the '79 GS1000's and GS850G's had the problem extends to the control unit. Unplugging the distance counter (reed switch) may get turn signal function back for a while with manual cancel, but the control units all went bad after a while. I removed the control box, wired in two flashers and have gotten so used to manual hold turn signals that I don't think about it anymore. One advantage is they are never left on by mistake. You can follow the two wire cable into the headlight bucket from the speedometer and disconnect them there. Should be a black/red and blue/red wire two bullet connectors.
      Last edited by OldVet66; 06-12-2014, 07:38 PM.
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Thanks guys

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks guys. I do have functioning turn signals, but I'm hoping to get the auto-cancel to work too. Not a big deal to manually cancel them, just being OCD.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Working...
        X