No announcement yet.

Starter relay hook-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please don't think I am giving you a hard time. I'm just ****ed at myself for not posting. I had it written even asking if you had possibly removed the ground from the electrical mounting plate and how it would disable the solenoid and also described how the system worked and where the wires went. Then I thought I was being too simplistic and redundant and deleted the post. Sorry about that.
    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

OldVet66, All tips help, I should have asked about the blk/wht wire before, so it should be secured to one of the mounting screws on the relay. Also as to no juice up at the handlebar controls, the 2 red wires, one coming from r/r and one coming from the harness behind the mounting panel, possibly I switched the connections. Theres nothing up front, ignition switch, start button, light switch, signals. The clutch switch and kick stand switch are delete so those are not a problem.

Comment

Yes that wire should go to the mounting plate. There are rubber isolation bushings, I guess for vibration damping on that electrical mounting plate, so it is also electrically isolated from the frame. The ground has to be attached for the solenoid to operate, it uses it for the negative side of the pick up coil that closes the contacts on the solenoid. If you would put your bike model and year in your signature it would be helpful (User CP Edit Signature)
        Last edited by OldVet66; 06-15-2014, 11:07 PM.
        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
          Yes that wire should go to the mounting plate. There are rubber isolation bushings, I guess for vibration damping on that electrical mounting plate, so it is also electrically isolated from the frame. The ground has to be attached for the solenoid to operate, it uses it for the negative side of the pick up coil that closes the contacts on the solenoid. If you would put your bike model and year in your signature it would be helpful (User CP Edit Signature)
          And as Suzuki designed it, the b/w from harness to the plate is the only path for all r/r return current to get back to the r/r(-)!!!! That is the reason for all of the extra ground mods.

Comment

User CP signature added

Comment

starter relay

Thanks, I repaaired the charred wire,, It didn't go far, after I cleaned up all the wiring, connectors, I have a problem with the 2 red wires. 1 from battery and 1 from r/r, I belivve I had thr r/r going through the fuse panel and the other from the + to the harness, there was nothing up front, ignition, lights, signals, start button, to day I sent the + to the r/r and the red fuse wire to harness. Lights came on, pushed the start button and she fired up, but only on 3 cylinders, 1,2,4 were firing, 3 was cold, after it ran for about 5 min, I shut it off, noticed the main fuse 10amp was blown and no more power to the front of the bike again, but now either way I switch the 2 red wires nothing changes, do you think I fried the r/r.

Comment

Sorry you are going to need a volt meter to see if the r/r is blown.

Comment

so I'll just test the different connections as I did when I tested it off the bike? To make sure it is procducing numbers.

Comment

Working...
                  X