No announcement yet.

Only one horn works at a time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will do some more accurate testing tonight, with the bike off, and on, and with horns on/off, and when the button is pressed with all that as well. But I was saying when the bike was off and one horn was connected, if you kept pressing the button with only one horn sounding, the other horn terminal (with no horn connected) was getting 18-19V. The 12V reading was a reading when no horns were connected, and we held the button pressed. But I will triple check those readings and write them down, and come back with those results. A list of results will help much better :P

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
      ..., if you kept pressing the button with only one horn sounding, the other horn terminal (with no horn connected) was getting 18-19V.
      Too bad you are so far from me. I just HAVE to see this miracle battery that jumps 50% in voltage when you put a load on it.

No way, no how, is that possible.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So here's some news for ya. I went to get my bike inspected, and ON THE WAY, my turn signal/horn fuse blew. So I got that replaced, and my turns, gear indicator all started working again.... except the horn. Now the horn doesn't even work at all. When you press the horn button, all the lighted displays on the cluster go out/severely dim. Once you let go, it goes back to normal. So what the actual crap is going on!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
          So here's some news for ya. I went to get my bike inspected, and ON THE WAY, my turn signal/horn fuse blew. So I got that replaced, and my turns, gear indicator all started working again.... except the horn. Now the horn doesn't even work at all. When you press the horn button, all the lighted displays on the cluster go out/severely dim. Once you let go, it goes back to normal. So what the actual crap is going on!?!?
          You have a short somewhere in the harness, bad grounds, something crossed wired, combinations of, something has to make the fuses blow. Yer gonna have to dig for this.

You can get the relays anywhere, Autozone, O'Riley's etc.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Great..... well, at least I can get to looking. I didn't want to get into the wiring harness, but it looks like a need to. I will use contact cleaner and dielectric grease to clean it up. And it has to be one of those things, because I held the button down for a few seconds and it blew another fuse. Frustrating...

Comment

Well I haven't done any readings because no horn was working once I replaced the second horn. So I cleaned up some burnt plastic around some inline connectors and sealed them properly, and still no horn sounded. So I thought to try and hook up the second horn, and when I did, the main horn I was using started working again, and when I unplugged the second horn, it continued to work. There is something so wrong, and I can't pin point it. It must be higher up from the battery, as that's where I did a lot of cleaning of the connectors at. Maybe the rectifier is messing things up? I don't know where the horn relay is either.

Comment

Okay, so this horn issue is still very weird to me and my dad. When one horn is plugged up, and I take the power of the disconnected spade terminal and touch a metal surface with it, it sounds the horn. I wasn't even pressing the button. Yes, I've cleaned all my connections and replaced the burnt ones. I also soldered my R/R and stator wires together. No, I haven't done the stator papers, because I was going to do that this winter, and the quick test results indicated that my charging system works. It was not turned on or even keyed on for 3 weeks, and everything came up and worked like normal, so that's another indicator that my charging system isn't bad. Any further suggestions?

Comment

Run it with one horn.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

See I would absolutely be okay with this, but sometimes even one horn doesn't work. It seems to be random, and I think it has to do with the splice into the green wire that gives it power. Also, my grounds are black, and I have NO idea where they go. Maybe I should unravel my wiring harness and trace it back?

Comment

Working...
                    X