1983 1100 another charging question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 1100 another charging question

If the bike is running and I remove the negative battery cable the bike dies.
    will the bike run with the battery out?

Obviously not.

However, even when everything is is perfect running condition, you don't want to remove the battery cable while the engine is running. The battery is an important link in the charging system.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Another way of saying what Steve said is that the r/r is designed to run with a battery connected. A corollary is the r/r is not designed to run without a battery. So as Steve said whether or not there is a battery is very important. You are lucky it died as if the engine could keep running, the r/r would be shunting down the stator output everything that is being generated. .(I'm assuming you are running a shunt r/r)
      Last edited by posplayr; 06-17-2014, 10:27 AM.

Comment

and the fact the it is all a big loop and taking the cable off opens the circuit ,

Comment

Originally posted by tbirdhd View Post
          and the fact the it is all a big loop and taking the cable off opens the circuit ,
          Not really, if the regulator was not in the loop and only the rectifier you could remove the battery and it would keep running.

It is the regulator that senses the rising terminal voltage because it is not connected to a battery that forces it to start to shut down thereby shutting off the power that is keeping the bike running.

Bikes can run without batteries, the regulators just don't do well without the battery.

Comment

Working...
          X