No announcement yet.

Rectifier Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with the rectifier? I can re-do the test and write down the numbers if that helps more.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
      Problems with the rectifier? I can re-do the test and write down the numbers if that helps more.
      If you want expert advice, you need to answer the questions. After you write the numbers down, post them.

Comment

QUICK TEST Results:

1)12.35

2)11.88

3)12.8

4)13.38

5)13.93

6)12.72

This was done all from cold, haven't started t since yesterday.

Comment

QUICK TEST Results:

1)12.35

2)11.88

3)12.8

4)13.38

5)13.93

6)12.72

This was done all from cold, haven't started t since yesterday.
          OK If you read the Quick Test you will see I emphatically stated that it was a not a replacement for the Stator Pages and that you should proceed to the Revised Phase A if you pass the test.

So while you did pass, you are only passing a gate; you are not done. You probably have in excess of 0.5V of drop in your connections. That is marginal at best and only a slippery slope to further problems.

So clearly your conclusion and mine are different.

Comment

Okay, that makes sense. I wanted to do just the quick test first, and then run the bike's current full tank of gas w/ seafoam to get the engine and carbs cleaned out with all that first. It sounds really healthy, with tappy valves, and all. I think after sitting for years only being ridden once or twice, it just needs to have a good on road riding. Then I will proceed with the stator papers (the adjusted copies you have posted) and see if the rectifier or stator is bad. I just wish I could get this stupid horn figured out. It's been a head scratch-er for sure. I've been discussing that in another thread.

Comment

Okay, that makes sense. I wanted to do just the quick test first, and then run the bike's current full tank of gas w/ seafoam to get the engine and carbs cleaned out with all that first. It sounds really healthy, with tappy valves, and all. I think after sitting for years only being ridden once or twice, it just needs to have a good on road riding. Then I will proceed with the stator papers (the adjusted copies you have posted) and see if the rectifier or stator is bad. I just wish I could get this stupid horn figured out. It's been a head scratch-er for sure. I've been discussing that in another thread.
              The R/R and stator are most likely NOT bad, it is the dirty connections that you will measure the voltage drops for when you do the revised Phase A tests.

You horn might get you killed I guess, but running with high voltage drops will definitely kill your stator at some point.

Comment

So just dirty connections can cause the voltage drops? And one horn works for me, I can't run the dual horns for some reason right now. There is a short or cross somewhere, I just have to take the time to find it.

Comment

So just dirty connections can cause the voltage drops?
                  They don't really even have to be dirty. Just a little bit of nearly invisible tarnish will create a lot of resistance.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    They don't really even have to be dirty. Just a little bit of nearly invisible tarnish will create a lot of resistance.
                    In fact at 10 amps, you only need 0.05 ohms to make 0.5V of drop.

Comment

So will the stator papers fault guide show you were the voltage drop is occurring? Or is this a "fix all connections" kinda thing?

Comment

So will the stator papers fault guide show you were the voltage drop is occurring? Or is this a "fix all connections" kinda thing?
                        All connections between the battery and the R/R. as a test go straight to it and you should see a rise in voltage. (test only)

Comment

Okay, well that's more manageable. I can definitely solder all those connections and get rid of those old terminal connectors if the stator papers show voltage drops. That would probably help a lot!

Comment

So I noticed that there are 5 different wires hooked up to my rectifier. One black (ground), one red, one yellow, one white/blue, and one white/green. Are the Y,W/B,W/G the three from the stator?

Comment

Working...
                            X