1983 GS 1100 Hot starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS 1100 Hot starting problem

when the bike is cold no problem cranking over.
    when the motor gets warm or hot the starter drags.(like the battery is low)
    First i checked the battery then the stator then the RR everything checked out fine.Then i made more ground cables just in case/still drags.
    the starter is original and maybe its time for a new one should the solenoid be changed at the same time as the starter.

the starter can heat sink...worn brushed/armature ect..

when it's hot go across the 2 solenoid studs and see if it cranks ok or the same.

Comment

Open up the starter and see what the brushes look like. It could be also that the heat is causing windings to short. Resistance goes up with temperature, but when new there is little effect. Make sure your battery is good as per quick test. The test how much drop you get while cranking. If it drops a lot it means the starter is probably shorting and bad. The only other alternative is you suddenly got a much higher load when hot, but that is not so likely.

With the plugs out that starter should freely spin the motor, if it can't it is bad.

Comment

As Jim said, make sure you don't see a high voltage drop from the battery due to a weak cell. I went through the same symptoms you are, checked cables, pulled and reworked starter ...... It was the battery. Since it was a highly rated one on this site I figured it couldn't be it.

Comment

It will also act like that if the timing is advanced. Try retarding the timing & if it stops there you go!
          Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by TooManyToys View Post
            As Jim said, make sure you don't see a high voltage drop from the battery due to a weak cell. I went through the same symptoms you are, checked cables, pulled and reworked starter ...... It was the battery. Since it was a highly rated one on this site I figured it couldn't be it.
            +1
            Had same issues, battery plus some flaky grounds.

Comment

Posplayr here are some readings what do you make of these
              Battery Full Charge 13.2-13.4
              at idle 12.88
              at 4000 -5000 14.45
              battery charge after shut down 12.71
              battery after 6 starts 12.71 wont crank until it cools

Comment

Originally posted by Street Fighter View Post
                Posplayr here are some readings what do you make of these
                Battery Full Charge 13.2-13.4
                at idle 12.88