New Coils... Wire confusion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Coils... Wire confusion?

The new Dyna 3 ohm coils arrived and I have installed one on my 1980 GS850G. But not the wires. The old spark plug wires were attached by the spike method and the Dyna coils are not set up that way. I am going to replace the spark plug wires, they are old, there is some confusion on my part here. I did a search on the site and am still fuzzy.The shop where I had some work done had installed new NKG XDO5F 5 ohm resistor spark plug boots on the bike. Then they said they would not work on the bike anymore. So in the future it is with the help of the forum members that this bike keeps rollin' on. I went by several motorcycle shops yesterday to get some information and new wires and they just pulled out a catalog and started to thumb through it saying they would have to order them. And they did not know what to order. So I was going to order from Z1 and ride next weekend maybe.
    With the boots I have do I order the suppression core wires or the copper core wires? 7mm or 8mm size wire?
    Thanks in advance for the help!
    Kevin

I use the 8MM suppression wires (if you like grey), scrap the old caps. The new wires come with crimp connectors for the wire towers with plug boots already made up. I ran mine through retainers from the front of the valve covers back to the plugs. Looks nice. I removed the outer covering about 3/4 in. so the center bends up near the top of the crimp connector for the towers.
    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Thank you OldVet66, They are on order and should ship tomorrow!
      Kevin

Comment

Take care to determine the routing you want before you cut them, one will be longer than the other but not the same as factory.
        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
        X