81 gs650g won't go above 35mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 60ratrod View Post
    the airbox is on. i removed the diaphragm covers, diaphragms and needle assemblies, the float bowls, floats, needles, main jets, pilot jets, and needle jets. i then went and sprayed carb cleaner through all passages both ways, through both ends of the pilot and main jets, and then 30lbs of compressed air through the passages in both directions of the passage to make sure they were clean and free. and i would have checked for spark if i hadn't left the tool kit at the house. i can freely rev in neutral, but i will need to check to see where it stops revving
    In other words, you did NOT clean the carbs.

No further help for you until you do a proper cleaning.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So I put her on the center stand and rewent through the carbs. I then started her up and revved her past 5k with no problems. So I put her in gear and went through all 5 gears, again with no issues. So I decided to take her off the center stand and go for a test ride. And so far no issues, and I've been out since 3:30 pst, and it's now 5:45 pst. Now it's time to go home and make some steaks!

Comment

Good luck.

Please remember: every shortcut you take only means one more time you have to do it over.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

having been in the navy almost 11 years, i hate rework. i think part of the problem was in the battery. i pulled it out yesterday and put it on a trickle charge over night. and the photos as promised:

Comment

Remember this?
            Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            What mods on the bike (exhaust, carbs, air filters, ignition, etc).
            The bike has 0 engine mods. the only thing the PO change was he put some café style bars on it. ...

Guess what. Those exhaust pipes are not stock.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride

Comment

yes, and i did not know that the pipes were aftermarket. thanks for letting me know. are the headers factory or no? what jets do i need for the carbs?

Comment

The headers are part of the aftermarket (probably MAC) system.

What jets? No clue. You will have to read your spark plugs to see what they are telling you.

Here is a picture from the gallery of an '81 650G with stock pipes.

Note the megaphone with no turn-outs.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

yes, and i did not know that the pipes were aftermarket. thanks for letting me know. are the headers factory or no? what jets do i need for the carbs?
                  If they are not already in them, I would try 102.5 or 105 main jets and adjust the fuel mixture screws accordingly. Z1 Enterprises has the best prices on main jets as far as I know.

Comment

This engine came stock with 110 mains - if your exhaust is more free flowing, you'll have to go bigger. Investigate air filter ,just in case PO got creative.
                    But if these carbs aren't cleaned properly, your mid range performance (where you likely spend lots of time) will be poor
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

well i will go back through them for the 3rd time here in a couple days. i say a couple days because i wanna get in some seat time before i get my kids(oldest just turned 5 and the twins turn 3 in august). when i have them, it's all about them, not me. i'll have them for a couple weeks so i'll have time to go through the carbs when they go to bed.

Comment

Ok, I still have yet to get back out and work on the bike. I've been busy spending time with my kids. but come to find out my signal generator is bad and I've been cruising around on 2 cylinders, which explains why it was a chore to get it up to highway speeds and maintain those speeds. she will not be ridden until all 4 are firing and the carbs have been sonic bathed

Comment

She's a good looking beastie. A very nice jumping off point. I'm not a fan of the turnouts, but if they do the job, they are better than having nothing on the ends of the headers.

Are you sure it is the signal generator that's gone out? Is that information via the service manual tests?

If it is the signal generator, then you'll have to spend some quality time with the electrical system. Shutting down like that, with a bad (draining) battery is highly suspect. Yes, get that firing sorted out as dumping raw fuel into the exhaust (or worse, not dumping it at all) can't be good.

How and when did you lose the stator cover emblem?
                          '83 GS650G
                          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Shamefully, I dropped the bike while unloading it when i got home. But I was more concerned about my neighbor than the bike. I lost my grip. anyway, I know the generator is bad because it's out of spec. Metering blue to green, I should be seeing between 250 ohms and 360 ohms, I got 421 ohms metering blue to green and green to blue. the "new" generator should be here tomorrow that I got from ebay. I wanna see if there's a way to fix the magnets. and I actually prefer the look of the turn out pipes. I think it looks good with the café style bars. I need new mirrors though.

Once I get this gs going good, I need to get my 81 kawi kz1000m1 csr going. I need to figure out why it's got a miss on 2 & 3. I have a feeling it might be the dyna kit I put on it. I'm gonna do one of the gm diy ignitor and see what happens and what that does for me
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-08-2014, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X