Turn signals work only at high RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn signals work only at high RPM

I believe I am having some stator issues, as my battery is slowly dying every 1-200 miles, but besides that I don't know what might make my turn signals not work until I rev it up.

The battery is only about 2 months old, there was plenty enough juice to start the bike this morning but the relay would not flash until I got the bike over 4,000. I could here a click in the relay when I moved the switch back and forth, but no flashing tick or even a solid light. I checked the battery after riding maybe a hundred miles today and here are the results:

Key off: 12.5
    key on: 12.4-3
    idle: 12.6
    at 2500: 12.6
    5000: 12.6-7
    key off: 12.5

Now I do see that those numbers are really low for the bike at increased RPM...but the turn signal relay should be able to tick with just the key on at 12.5volts...

Fix your charging system, the blinkers will blink just fine.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by motokid837 View Post
      I believe I am having some stator issues, as my battery is slowly dying every 1-200 miles, but besides that I don't know what might make my turn signals not work until I rev it up.

The battery is only about 2 months old, there was plenty enough juice to start the bike this morning but the relay would not flash until I got the bike over 4,000. I could here a click in the relay when I moved the switch back and forth, but no flashing tick or even a solid light. I checked the battery after riding maybe a hundred miles today and here are the results:

Key off: 12.5
      key on: 12.4-3
      idle: 12.6
      at 2500: 12.6
      5000: 12.6-7
      key off: 12.5

Now I do see that those numbers are really low for the bike at increased RPM...but the turn signal relay should be able to tick with just the key on at 12.5volts...
      Time to test everything, stator, RR, sounds like you have been bitten by the GS charging curse.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Good job reporting numbers! Now you got to go here and figure out if stator is the problem

While you checking for AC voltages lead to lead as in the link, also put one meter probe on any stator lead and other probe on a good bike ground- there should be no voltage (or very little) displayed aa 4000 rpm.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

As others have mentioned, your charging system is not working properly, thanks for providing the numbers.

Do the follow-up tests to determine whether it's the stator or the R/R or even just cleaning some wiring that is at fault.

If you need an R/R, the Polaris unit is highly-recommended.

If you need a stator, let me know, I have one for you that is freshly re-wound, ready to go at a price better than most retail outlets.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I had a similar problem. Look at all the ground connections. Found mine behind the lens. The ground screw was loose. Thought it was a bulb.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys, I will be getting into the electrical system soon, as far as the turn signal relay goes, I charged the battery fully, and the relay makes one click but does not blink or turn the lights on, can I work backwards from the relay and make sure I'm getting power at the relay? Where would I test that?

Comment

Originally posted by Gun-Nut View Post
                I had a similar problem. Look at all the ground connections. Found mine behind the lens. The ground screw was loose. Thought it was a bulb.
                Excellent advice right here.
                Lots of electrical gremlins can be resolved by cleaning up all your ground connections.

Comment

As others said you are not charging and it is probably the stator as there is such a minimal gain across the rpm range. But you do have enough voltage to blink if the connection were clean. Look at your bulbs and make sure they are clean. Get som Deoxit to clean connections. And as final test make sure you get close to battery voltage across the light when it is on.

Comment

Can someone point me towards a decent write up or tutorial on cleaning up all the electrical connections? If there is such a thing here or on bikecliff, if not I will just have to learn as I go, just don't wanna miss anything.

I am also gonna check the plug that the relay plugs into to make sure I am getting 12 volts at the relay, that could be starting to go bad too

Comment

Originally posted by motokid837 View Post
                      Can someone point me towards a decent write up or tutorial on cleaning up all the electrical connections? If there is such a thing here or on bikecliff, if not I will just have to learn as I go, just don't wanna miss anything.

I am also gonna check the plug that the relay plugs into to make sure I am getting 12 volts at the relay, that could be starting to go bad too
                      One thing to be away of is that if there are alot of dirty connections. If you remove the plug, you will see 12V . Then you plug it in and it will drop and you will scratch your head. You have to measure volts with all connections in place.

There are plenty of instructions. Clean all connections.

Comment

Working...
                      X