Bike stalled while riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike stalled while riding

I have an 1982 gs 650 and the recently had the valve adjust and carbs cleaned. Also installed a new battery. I was just riding the bike and it shut off on me at about 30 mph with clutch in as I was going around a turn. Now the bike won't start. All the lights are dim and with a very weak click and no crank. Before anyone suggest, yes there is gas in the tank as I just filled up with 91 before this ride. Now I'm broke down on the side if the road, in the middle of no where with only internet connect and the emergency tools the bike comes with. An suggestions of where to start?

Trailer it home and get to checking the charging system.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I am going with its not charging and the battery got so low the coils wont fire anymore. You can pop the tank off and check connections to see if the lights get any brighter but I doubt thats gonna happen.
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

It gets another one...

Get it home first. Call friends or whatever to get it home.

If you don't have a mutlimeter, buy one, yer gonna need it. Though first, pull the tank, side covers and probably the back part of the air box. Pull the battery and charge it, gonna need a fully charged battery to do the tests. Second, while the battery is charging, inspect, clean, replace all/any burnt connections. Make sure your grounds are solid. There are some tests you can with out the battery and some you need the battery with. Go to Posplayrs Quick Test and go from there. Most likely you'll need a new stator and RR. If so, see Steve about the stator and upgrade to a SERIES type RR, most popular is the Polaris SH_775 and there is the Compufire, a bit more pricey then the SH-775. May need to get a new battery as well, when the charging system fails it tends to take the battery with it. Don't worry, lots of experience with this problem here on GSR, we gots the know how to fix it.
        Last edited by mrbill5491; 07-05-2014, 03:22 PM.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Sure enough....hope he isnt too far away from the shed.

Comment

Pull headlight fuse,find downhill for bump start,turn key on ( to power ignition system) and get pushing! If you get lucky, it might come to life . Briefly though

This is why this forum stresses checking charging system b4 you go far from home.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Update, just got bike home. Hook battery up to jump starter an bike fired right up. Second I disconnect jump starter the bike dies.

Comment

I got the battery charging at the moment but it was at 12v with ignition off. Turn the ignition on and the battery starts dropping voltage. Checked ohms from r/r and all 3 yellow wires are at 0.8 ohms. I'm going to start replacing those ****ty stock bullet connectors for all the wire connections. Can't be a bad place to start sense everyone is 30+ years old.

Comment

Here you go for starters

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Then see this link for stator testing
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

So I have gone through all the links including the stator papers and my clymer manual. From the tests so far it seems to be the r/r

Comment

Expert help., do the quick test and report the results. Either that or just change everything.

Comment

So after doing some research this seems like a good replacement. Any opinions?

The Super Series Kit SH775
                        Easy, fast and complete. As close to plug and play you can get.

SH775 series R/R from Polaris with Circuit breaker or Maxifuse holder with PVC wire sheathing!! I do the crimping and soldering except your 3 stator wires. Ready to go with 3 feet of 10 gauge red/black wiring, 30 amp maxifuse and holder, heat shrinkable butt connections and solder connectors for your choice of hookup to your stator. Custom wire lengths available.

Comment

Originally posted by ShaggyRider View Post
                          So after doing some research this seems like a good replacement. Any opinions?

The Super Series Kit SH775
                          Easy, fast and complete. As close to plug and play you can get.

SH775 series R/R from Polaris with Circuit breaker or Maxifuse holder with PVC wire sheathing!! I do the crimping and soldering except your 3 stator wires. Ready to go with 3 feet of 10 gauge red/black wiring, 30 amp maxifuse and holder, heat shrinkable butt connections and solder connectors for your choice of hookup to your stator. Custom wire lengths available.
                          Shameless, selling FH020AA right next to the SH-775.

Oh but go off and see what he want to sell you. I'm sure it is "Plug and Play"

Comment

Or would I be better off with a stock replacement in the mean time?

Comment

Originally posted by ShaggyRider View Post
                              Or would I be better off with a stock replacement in the mean time?
                              Skip that guy- get a SH-775 for about $75, and correct the wiring per the info on this forum. His 30 amp maxi fuse won't be much good at protecting your bike's harness.
                              1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                              X