Cheap modulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap modulator

I read Posplayers post from march about a cheap modulator and I purchased one from e-bay. I am electrically challenged and I am not sure how to read diagrams properly. Can someone step by step me through putting this in. Am I working near the fuse panel or at the rear brake light.
    Last edited by davegs850; 07-08-2014, 04:01 PM.
    83 gs850
    07 vtx1300c

What is a "modulator"? No clue.

Have you considered asking Jim for assistance via PM?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      What is a "modulator"? No clue.

Have you considered asking Jim for assistance via PM?
      I suspect he's talking about a brake light modulator, which Pos posted about a few weeks back.

Comment

Yes I will PM him if necessary I suspect it is something real simple for most guys on here. He posted a diagram under the thread cheap e-bay Brake modulator I just dont know how to read it
        83 gs850
        07 vtx1300c

Comment

I will try to see if I can find the post to see if there is anything particular about that modulator, but most of them are pretty much "plug and play".

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I installed one of these- simple but only for led brake lights

Brake light strobe module works with LED brake or reverse lights. Strobe module rapidly flashes bulbs 4 times for 0.4 seconds, slowly 4 times for 2.6 seconds, and then lights remain on bright until brake pedal is released. 12V DC Operation with a maximum load of 1.25 amps. Weather-resistant housing easily mounts to vehicle with double-sided adhesive. Includes 6” power wires.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              I installed one of these- simple but only for led brake lights

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...odule/195/845/
              How do you like it?

From reading the description, it appears that it flashes quickly for a while, then slower for a while, then stays steady.

Does it do that every time? I have a unit on the back of my wife's bike that will flash a few times then go steady.
              If you re-apply the brakes within about 20 seconds, it goes straight to steady mode.
              Could be less-irritating in slow, heavy traffic, I guess.

Dave(gs850), I found the post, what is your specific question?

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well according to Posplayers thread I was under the impression it would work with a regular bulb or led but maybe i was mistaken I am also a little technically challenged but managed to remove the brake light will post pics in a few. My question once I get the pics posted is what wire goes where?
                83 gs850
                07 vtx1300c

Comment

Well posting pics was a fail for me. When I removed the brake light assmbly there is a Brown, white, and Black with white stripe wire going to the taillight bulb and a grey, and black with white stripe going to the license plate light Coming from the modulator I have BLack and red on both in and out side. Question is what wire to hook where and will this only work with led bulb??
                  83 gs850
                  07 vtx1300c

Comment

Also in Posplayers diagram if you follow the wires say from the brake bulb to the left are the next little boxes electrical connections? If so My grey wire goes to a single connector the other four wires go into a three way connector the white and brown are separate and the two black with white stripe connect together.
                    83 gs850
                    07 vtx1300c

Comment

Originally posted by davegs850 View Post
                      Well posting pics was a fail for me. When I removed the brake light assmbly there is a Brown, white, and Black with white stripe wire going to the taillight bulb and a grey, and black with white stripe going to the license plate light Coming from the modulator I have BLack and red on both in and out side. Question is what wire to hook where and will this only work with led bulb??
                      This the thread?

Would you like to share the experiences you have had with a new accessory, part or vendor? Post your review here.

This the diagram?

Would you like to share the experiences you have had with a new accessory, part or vendor? Post your review here.

We cant read minds (completely)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        How do you like it?

From reading the description, it appears that it flashes quickly for a while, then slower for a while, then stays steady.

Does it do that every time? I have a unit on the back of my wife's bike that will flash a few times then go steady.
                        If you re-apply the brakes within about 20 seconds, it goes straight to steady mode.
                        Could be less-irritating in slow, heavy traffic, I guess.

Dave(gs850), I found the post, what is your specific question?

I think the question is about the separate ground. The unit I bought had two (one in one out). I assume it needed to be is isolated. The one Tom posted only has 3 wires. Common ground on input and output.

I never bothered to test mine, with a common ground. It might work, but it is not appear to be how it was intended to work.

For an extra, buck you can get the common ground version Tom bought and not worry about i.

Comment

Yes that is the thread. I do have four wires on mine. You are talking to a real rookie in electrical. My question is what are the input wires attached to and will it work with a non led bulb. Also my 850 seems to be wired a little different I assume black with white stripe is ground?? So are the black wires on the modulator ground and red is power?? And the white wire coming into the brake light would attach to the red in on modulator and the red wire coming out of modulator would then go back into the white before it hits the tail light bulb
                          Last edited by davegs850; 07-08-2014, 06:20 PM.
                          83 gs850
                          07 vtx1300c

Comment

My question is what are the input wires attached to
                            1. RED IN is the brake light hot from switch WHITE(W)
                            2. BLACK IN is the harness ground B/W
                            3. RED OUT is the brake light filament to the bulb
                            4. BLACK OUT is the isolated ground which is B/W at the bulb (but needs cut from the rest of the grounds)!!!

and will it work with a non led bulb.
                            A single 1157 filament
                            Also my 850 seems to be wired a little different I assume black with white stripe is ground??
                            Yes On ALL GS's

So are the black wires on the modulator ground and red is power?? And the white wire coming into the brake light would attach to the red in on modulator and the red wire coming out of modulator would then go back into the white before it hits the tail light bulb

See list above

In order to isolate the filament ground you need to cut the ground as shown in the schematic.

Comment

It is working I have a 2357 Bulb but seems to work fine Thanks to all!!
                              83 gs850
                              07 vtx1300c

Comment

Working...
                              X