86 gs550esg r/r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

86 gs550esg r/r

Hi guys ive been trying to find out which r/r to buy for my 86 gs 550esg but im now confused ive looked at ebay some say for ese or esf or es3 etc some say it will fit my esg but wires are different colors,the bikedoes not put over 12v ive tested the r/r with an ammeter and think its bad as one of the values 20k instead of 30k .can anyone help me out plz

THANKS!

Although the bike is not putting out over 12V, which might indicate an R/R problem, I'm not confident in numbers you are quoting, as you are not giving us units. Those 20k/30k numbers sound like resistance over the plug caps, not something you should be getting when testing the R/R.

Have you gone through the Quick Test and Stator Papers yet? Find Posplayr's posts on this.

Anyhow, to be more specific, you can ignore all of the letters that come after the "s". Those are model years, etc, and an R/R that fits one will fit them all. One or more of thoe designations might actually be the California models.

What you are looking for is an SH-775, costing around $65 + tax/shipping from a number of suppliers. Sometimes they pop up on EBay for about half that price. You could put in an FH-020 (also from Shindengen) but the general consensus is the shunt-type R/Rs are not as good a product as the series-type (e.g. SH-775).

A heads up...these R/Rs are quite a bit larger than the stock, and it is a VERY tight fit behind the battery box. Some modifications might be useful to prevent contact with the battery box.
    Last edited by BigD_83; 07-09-2014, 02:02 PM.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Do the quick test and post your results (1 thru 6)

Checking the R/R is challenging . A good one can't do much if the stator is smoked.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

gs550 r/r

just put on a new r/r from electrosport and she's acharging woohoo couldn't find a shendegen anyway 70$ and she's getting better every day,ill have her on the road soon.

Comment

Originally posted by rlg5 View Post
          just put on a new r/r from electrosport and she's acharging woohoo couldn't find a shendegen anyway 70$ and she's getting better every day,ill have her on the road soon.
          Bad news on the Electrosport.

Read GS Stator in my signature.

Comment

Working...
          X