81 gs850 blowing headlight fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 gs850 blowing headlight fuse

My bike keeps blowing headlight fuses. When you get on it beginning of day it wwont blow fuse for 15 minutes or so but then it does then blows it immediately afterwards. Also it'll blow the main fuse after awhile.fuse looks melted from heat, not black from short. Checked all grounds and they're all good. It seems like its a high amp draw causing it. Could a battery cause this? I know the battery starts bike albeit sluggish sometimes. Help!!!

Do this quick test of your charging system…..

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I wonder how pray tell you "checked" grounds? That term seems to be open to wide interpretation.

Comment

If the test passes

Disconnect battery positive wire
        remove fuse holder 2 screws remove back cover inspect.
        This is assuming glass style fuse clips.

check for loose wires and bad solder connections.

Comment

More open interpretations??? Why remove the positive battery terminal? And do what??

Comment

http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/Re.../Fuse%20wiring

see photos of the basic fuse holder above this one is claen

Went through this particular issue with my bike intermittent headlight

started at the hand control worked my way back, should have started at the fuse box again assuming these are glass fuses these Fuse clips get hot enough to melt plastic and the contacts get dirty causing a high resistance

Removed the back of the fuse holder the wire had gotten so hot they fused together and the main and the headlight wires had come loose making an intermittent connection

worth checking out for safety sake assuming the charging test passes :>)

Comment

Originally posted by Recoush View Post
              http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/Re.../Fuse%20wiring

see photos of the basic fuse holder above this one is claen

Went through this particular issue with my bike intermittent headlight

started at the hand control worked my way back, should have started at the fuse box again assuming these are glass fuses these Fuse clips get hot enough to melt plastic and the contacts get dirty causing a high resistance

Removed the back of the fuse holder the wire had gotten so hot they fused together and the main and the headlight wires had come loose making an intermittent connection

worth checking out for safety sake assuming the charging test passes :>)
              I guess you mean to remove the battery connections long enough to clean the fuse box. I'm guessing though as you were not very specific.

Yes the fuse box and all connections should be cleaned (DeOxit as a final treatment with other cleaners is really dirty).

It is a better practice to not remove the positive but rather remove the negative.

The headlamp fuse could be blowing because of overcharging so the Quick test.
              Last edited by posplayr; 07-11-2014, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Ok checked the fuse block and headlight fuse and main connectors loose and wobbly. This all started one night I hit a bumb

Comment

Originally posted by dstygg90 View Post
                  Ok checked the fuse block and headlight fuse and main connectors loose and wobbly. This all started one night I hit a bumb
                  it started way before that with corrosion then heat melting the fuse box.

Comment

Agree on checking charging voltage. A bad R/R often causes excessive charging voltage, and blown electrical parts often follows.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Okay when I get my multimeter back Imma check charging system. Problems with this bike are never ending. Needs fork seals which have arrived, changing ignition coils out for some dynas, and needs Airbox boots. Old ones not cracked or hard but they just will NOT stay on the carbs and impossible to get all four on and I've used some lube around boots to help it like I did with my new intake mani boots.

Comment

Problems with this bike are never ending.
                        That's one way of doing it.

Much better to maintain everything once and ride a trouble free motorcycle.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

So cylinders 2 and 3 dead. Coil possibly? I know they are 33 years old. Check spark on all four and got it but it seems weak. Does a signal generator send signal for spark timing. I noticed timing advance mechanism on snout. Just trying to understand it more for more accuracy. Oh and checked voltage on battery- 11.65 with key and headlight on. Maybe that's causing headlight fuse to blow?

Comment

So cylinders 2 and 3 dead. Coil possibly? I know they are 33 years old. Check spark on all four and got it but it seems weak. Does a signal generator send signal for spark timing. I noticed timing advance mechanism on snout. Just trying to understand it more for more accuracy. Oh and checked voltage on battery- 11.65 with key and headlight on. Maybe that's causing headlight fuse to blow?
                            11.65v: Pretty much meaningless info

Comment

Guess it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X