1982 GS550L Igniter and Signal Generator Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS550L Igniter and Signal Generator Test

I just picked up a 82' GS550 and it has no spark. The guy that I bought it from said he installed a new ignitor about 4 years ago, but then a year later it stopped sparking again. How can I test it so I know what the problem is before I start throwing parts at it.

I tested the coils and they tested good. I tested t make sure that power was getting to the ignitor by following the directions on this site http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...-ends.html#A16

The only problem I was having was finding the wires for the signal generator, do I have to pull the cover to get to the blue and green wires? or does my bike have different colors?

So I have good coils, all of the grounds where good. It turns over good, just no spark.

Is there anything common?

How do I test the pickup?, could it have corrosion or something?

I aslo have a orange with purple tracer wire under the tank right by the coils that goes to nothing. What is it and where does it go?

Comment

I don't know of any stickies that have the bikecliff link, but if you look in the gs discussion area, find my gs650g thread, there's a link to the free download of the FSM for your bike
      Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2014, 12:49 AM.

Comment

The 550's seem to have bad ignitors (see top of this forum).Can you unplug signal coils from igniter and test per that link?
        Sometimes a bad charging system fries the igniter. If you have the advance weights (behind signal coil plate), you can see if a dyna ignition upgrade will work - this replaces both the ignitor and signal coils.
        How's the overall condition of bike?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I could test the igniter by disconnecting the signal coils, but I don't know what wires they are.

And actually the bike its in good shape, 10,000 original miles, it has been in a barn for four years.

So how do I disconnect the signal coils top test the ignitor?

I'm at work now so I'll download the manual after work.

Comment

On my 650 setup (different ignitor), only two wires leave signal coils and head to ignitor. Blue wire comes off signal coil marked for 1+4,while green wire comes off coil for 2+3 .

Edit: you have removed the signal generator cover and given it a look over ,right?
            Last edited by tom203; 07-11-2014, 09:59 AM. Reason: Further
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I have not taken a look at the signal generator yet. Can it corrode?

Comment

I just checked out the signal generator and it looks good, from what I can tell no corrosion.

There are three wires off of my signal generator, g/w, brown, and bl/w. I assume the bl/w is a ground. The bl/w also goes from one generator the the other.

but when I back track to the connector by the ignitor I have g/w, brown, and bl/blue wires. To test the ignitor what do I do?

Also how do I test the signal generator?

Thanks

Comment

I just tested the signal pickups and I am getting 130 ohms through them.

From what I was reading on dslextreme, I should be getting 250-360ohms

Does this say that the pickup is junk?

I am going to test the ignitor after work.

Comment

Basscliff probably has a service manual. My clymer manual has a test for the chain drive 650 signal generator coils - I suspect this is same setup on the 550,but I'm not sure . Disconnect signal coils from ignitor (must be a plug somewhere).measure ohms from one coil to other (from the g/w to br) - what do you get? 150 ohms?
                    The 250 to 360 ohms is what my 650 ignitor wants,but yours is a different ignitor!

Edit: the signal coils are real simple and likely immune from failure- but the connections to ignitor have to be good. Member kokar ( the sticky at top of this forum) is the guru here,so consider sending him a PM.
                    Last edited by tom203; 07-11-2014, 04:10 PM.
                    1981 gs650L

Comment

There was a manual for it but all it showed was for a points set up. I was looking in a 85' manual and the pickup called flour 250-360.

I wonder if my bike is an 83' not an 82'.

Either was I'll test the ignitor and go from there.

Comment

I tested the ignitor using a AA battery. And got nothing. No spark at all.

Does that tell me that the cdi box is junk?

Comment

What dyna ignition would you recommend? I noticed that the dyna s its cheaper but it doesn't seem to come with an igniter.

Also how do I test my charging system? Can I do a ohm test?

Comment

The dyna S has the ignitor- it's mounted on new signal plate! Note that their are two types depending on who made the stock setup.This is the way to go when ignitor craps out.

Basic test of charging is the quick test

1981 gs650L

Comment

How does it wire in. It seems like there are just a couple wires off of the plate, from what I see in the pictures.

How do I know who made the stock setup, the sticker on my ignitor feel off.

Comment

Working...
                              X