No Spark from 1 and 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Spark from 1 and 4

I'm topping out at 75mph with my 1978 GS750E (bobbed with pod filters, aftermarket 4 exhuast pipes). All of the plugs are fouling, and my #1 ( under a petcock that leaks on RES) is wet fouling. The points timing has been adjusted. I've recently changed plugs (b8ES to b7ES) and found that 1 and 4 have faint amber to no spark.

Should I be checking the coils? What should I look for? My battery connection is intact. Should I test the battery itself?

Yeah, test electrical system (i.e.,charging system) to rule it out and go from there; head to this link and report the 6 results of the quick test

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      Yeah, test electrical system (i.e.,charging system) to rule it out and go from there; head to this link and report the 6 results of the quick test

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...92#post1272192
      Thanks for replying. My multimeter readings were as follows:

Key off - 12.5

Key on with lights for 10 secs - 12.14

Idle - 12.19

2500 rpm - 12.6 - 12.7

5000 rpm - 13.01

Key off - 12.5

I should add that the #1 plug has little to no spark, #4 has a very faint spark, while #2 and #3 have weak amber spark.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-13-2014, 04:57 PM.

Comment

You have some charging, but it's pitiful- so you got work to do there. But unless your ignition circuit connections are real bad, this doesn't account for your weak spark. Remove tank and measure voltage at coils. With ignition on, you want it close to battery voltage.
        You might want to get new condensers and points.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
        X