Idiot of the Week award...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idiot of the Week award...

Have awarded it to myself. PO told me to get a trickle charger which I did after a few weeks of occasional slow starting/cranking. As I hardwired it I cleaned up the fusebox, a few plugs and topped up the half empty battery. I thought sure the charging system was toast and the battery shot when I saw it half empty but decided what the hell, top it up charge it up and see. All through winter she never failed to start first time and was mostly on trickle always or so I thought.
    Revisiting the earths I find I had hardwired the charger with the wrong polarity.
    All this time it has been doing precisely nothing ( polarity protected ) . In fairness to the idiot the charger instructions are in a form of English unrecognisable to man and the manufacturers use of red, orange and green LEDs would cause carnage at an intersection.
    Moral of the story. Healthy bikes ridden regularly don't need trickle charging or the bike has been running on Placebo effect for six months.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
    Have awarded it to myself. PO told me to get a trickle charger which I did after a few weeks of occasional slow starting/cranking. As I hardwired it I cleaned up the fusebox, a few plugs and topped up the half empty battery. I thought sure the charging system was toast and the battery shot when I saw it half empty but decided what the hell, top it up charge it up and see. All through winter she never failed to start first time and was mostly on trickle always or so I thought.
    Revisiting the earths I find I had hardwired the charger with the wrong polarity.
    All this time it has been doing precisely nothing ( polarity protected ) . In fairness to the idiot the charger instructions are in a form of English unrecognisable to man and the manufacturers use of red, orange and green LEDs would cause carnage at an intersection.
    Moral of the story. Healthy bikes ridden regularly don't need trickle charging or the bike has been running on Placebo effect for six months.
    True, very true.

My batteries only get put on chargers during the winter when I stop riding for about four months. Since I use AGM batteries, they really don't even need it then, but it doesn't hurt naything.
    sigpic

SUZUKI:
    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Unless you do electrical for a living there's nothing to be ashamed of there. I have drops in my garage for my bikes some of which are ridden quite irregularly and somewhat erratically.

Comment

Originally posted by blualano View Post
        Unless you do electrical for a living there's nothing to be ashamed of there.
        Guess who used to install 100MW gas turbine gensets for a living?
        97 R1100R
        Previous

Comment

Hey listen man.. I may have to nominate myself also.. After I retorqued my headbolts due to a vacuum leak around the head I put the bike back together I took it for a ride. It was running good, but was running super slow.. I road it for a few miles and I'm like damn maybe it just seems this slow because I just got off my sv1000.. Well needless to say I get home and I'm like let me lean out carb a tiny bit.. Well when I go to turn the screw I noticed I didn't put the one spark plug cap back on -_-

After connecting that the bike pulled like normal haha.

Comment

Depending on your actual role during installation you may want to consider yourself the "lucky idiot of the week".

We've all done it but that's what wringing and hi-pot tests are for .

Comment

All through winter she never failed to start first time ...
              Were you starting it up to go for a ride or just to hear it run?

Healthy bikes ridden regularly don't need trickle charging ...
              And starting it occasionally without riding it to warm it up FULLY is a quick way to make it UNhealthy.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I read the title and came in thinking I might have finally won something........ oh, well, I won't give up!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Were you starting it up to go for a ride or just to hear it run?
                  Always riding. No snow here and we get 100 miles a week in even in the depths of Winter.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous

Comment

Originally posted by blualano View Post
                    Unless you do electrical for a living there's nothing to be ashamed of there. I have drops in my garage for my bikes some of which are ridden quite irregularly and somewhat erratically.
                    Max of 1MW here. Guess who had a brainfart when he wired up a charging hardpoint too? Luckily the charger was polarity-sensed and protected.
                    It's a bloody useful thing though, and I'll be doing it with all of them.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I'm not sure that is the only issue here

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        I'm not sure that is the only issue here
                        Am I missing something maybe ?
                        For the moment the batt -ve is the spg with two small harness earths and the big frame earth and the R/R -ve. The R/R +ve is direct wired inline fused to the batt +ve. QT on the charging checks out and the battery is 12.6V at rest. I've cleaned so many connections , plugs and grounds I can't say what has done what but everything is brighter, louder and the motor runs smoother.
                        If I understand the basic direction of your approach it is to make the R/R the primary supplier and receiver of all currents when running and the battery off to the side as a receiver of charge as required.
                        I've had a look at moving the R/R to the side of the battery box as I don't want to add connections and length to the two small harness earths. Space is tight in there.
                        Last edited by Brendan W; 07-16-2014, 10:25 AM.
                        97 R1100R
                        Previous

Comment

Nice work Brendan. I'd say student of the week instead. You took Posplayr's short statement and researched your charging system thoroughly it seems.

The charger installation caused no problems. I'd be upset but only for a moment. When something goes wrong because of my error (or not the best judgement) it bothers me for quite a while or until I can put it back to normal. (Fried the battery? Hurry, get new battery...... All in the past now.....)
                          Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

Am I missing something maybe ?
                            For the moment the batt -ve is the spg with two small harness earths and the big frame earth and the R/R -ve. The R/R +ve is direct wired inline fused to the batt +ve. QT on the charging checks out and the battery is 12.6V at rest. I've cleaned so many connections , plugs and grounds I can't say what has done what but everything is brighter, louder and the motor runs smoother.
                            If I understand the basic direction of your approach it is to make the R/R the primary supplier and receiver of all currents when running and the battery off to the side as a receiver of charge as required.
                            I've had a look at moving the R/R to the side of the battery box as I don't want to add connections and length to the two small harness earths. Space is tight in there.
                            Sounds like you have been reading and doing a good job. Redo the quick test to confirm you are getting to 14.5 ish at 5000 rpm. Then proceed to revised phase A tests to check the actual voltage drops.
                            I don't like doing R/r ve(+) to battery ve(+) but you have it that way now.

Comment

To close this off for the moment. The stator resistances are all 1.2 Ohm , infinite to gnd. I suspect it's newish as the colour is very good. Can't identify the new looking R/R. Three yellow five wire. SCR?
                              Charging voltage tops out at 14.4V. Checked it out hot and cold ( sneaky things diodes). Looking good for one orbit at least.
                              Thanks to all for contributing especially Posplayer for all the hard work in sharing insights.
                              97 R1100R
                              Previous

Comment

Working...
                              X