Relocating ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relocating ignition

I'm looking to make my build have the minimalist look up by the bars..Anyone have a guide or explanation of best way to go about relocating the ignition?

On my bikes, the "ignition" consists of the pickup coils that are hidden on the right side of the crankcase, the ignitor, which is hidden under the seat, the coils, which are hidden under the tank and the spark plugs, which are ... well ... hidden under the plug wires.

None of this is anywhere near the handlebars.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I think in this particular case ignition refers to the key cylinder. You *could lengthen the wires and put the key cylinder anywhere you want it. There are two caveats however. First, these bikes are notorious for bad wiring to begin with and soldering in extensions may be a hit or miss proposition. Secondly, if you move the cylinder you will not be able to use the handlebar lock.

Comment

I'd say he's talking about the ignition switch.

It's 4 wires - they can be extended or cut down in the loom as required

Hardest part is finding a spot to mount the switch.

You can also use an aftermarket switch - boating ones are pretty good as they are generally more weatherproof by design than automotive ones.
        Current:
        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Working...
        X