Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the easiest way to remedy my Charging system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the easiest way to remedy my Charging system?

Hello all
    Ive been riding my 1982 GS850GL for 3 weeks now that is is back up and running after a 14 year hiatus (last registered in 2000 by PO). My indie did a complete tune up / carb rebuild / valve adjustment, tires, etc.

I rode it for 2 weeks , then came home from a ride and turned it off. It refused to start after 10 minutes of being off, so tested the battery, it was at 12.2V.

Left it on the battery tender overnight, started it, ran at 13.15V at 5000 RPM at the battery with no accessories on.

Now, I'm no mechanic and I just want it to charge right. I would like a charging system that is bombproof yet easy to install and be able to run a light bar, GPS and upgraded lights - at some point .

My question is stated- what is the Easiest way to accomplish my goal?

I am willing to toss out the old components and simply buy new ones because I'm not cheap.

From what I have been reading, it means a new Stator (Rick's) and a new R/R. What kind I do not know.

I'm not looking for any complicated bypass wiring or other project that will result in my frustration, confusion or downtime.

What is my easiest upgrade plan?

Thanks!
    BG

Easiest way or would you prefer to do it correctly?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Start here

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.
      Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

Electrex make excellent replacements

Comment

Originally posted by Locomotion View Post
          Strongly beg to differ; see GS Stator in my signature.

Comment

Originally posted by BGbraces View Post
            Hello all
            Ive been riding my 1982 GS850GL for 3 weeks now that is is back up and running after a 14 year hiatus (last registered in 2000 by PO). My indie did a complete tune up / carb rebuild / valve adjustment, tires, etc.

I rode it for 2 weeks , then came home from a ride and turned it off. It refused to start after 10 minutes of being off, so tested the battery, it was at 12.2V.

Left it on the battery tender overnight, started it, ran at 13.15V at 5000 RPM at the battery with no accessories on.

Now, I'm no mechanic and I just want it to charge right. I would like a charging system that is bombproof yet easy to install and be able to run a light bar, GPS and upgraded lights - at some point .

My question is stated- what is the Easiest way to accomplish my goal?

I am willing to toss out the old components and simply buy new ones because I'm not cheap.

From what I have been reading, it means a new Stator (Rick's) and a new R/R. What kind I do not know.

I'm not looking for any complicated bypass wiring or other project that will result in my frustration, confusion or downtime.

What is my easiest upgrade plan?

Thanks!
            BG
            Read eveal threads in my signature incluing GS stator
            Read GS Charging Health, use Quick test till it seems close. Then move on to Revised Phase A test.

Comment

Jim,

I think every link in your signature simply needs to be made a sticky, so they stay at the top of the thread list on this electrical/ignition forum.

Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

there is no way to get around the fact that you are stil going to have to go through the electrical system and clean everything up. Putting new components into a highly resistive system is going to get you nowhere.
                '83 GS650G
                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                  there is no way to get around the fact that you are stil going to have to go through the electrical system and clean everything up. Putting new components into a highly resistive system is going to get you nowhere.
                  There goes the easy way!
                  OP: this thing is 32 years old- that means lots of electrical corrosion ready to strike at any moment as you found out.Best to fix correctly and not just throw new stuff at it as a cure-all.
                  Running more electrical loads will be no problem if you follow the guidelines that members here have devised based on their experience .
                  Do those tests! A bad charging system only gives you about 45 minutes of running with fully charged battery - not much traveling time.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Locomotion View Post
                    Not even...
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

oh. my. sweet. baby. jesus. we need more stickies, updated stator pages, purged corporate sponsorship information, and a few other things. ermergerd i literally can't even right now. sorry for the hijack, but seriously folks.
                      1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Ha! I don't think a couple of good threads in a permanent/prominent place is a bad thing. Especially if it will cut down on duplicate threads asking the same general questions over and over.

Now if people would simply read them....there is the challenge.
                        Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius086 View Post
                          Ha! ....
                          Now if people would simply read them....there is the challenge.
                          Apparently many have difficulty!
                          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

On my 850, I ran the 3 stator wires directly to the R/R, and added a dedicated ground from the R/R to the battery. Picked up a full volt over the 13.3 I was getting, to 14.3. I still plan on upgrading the stator and R/R after the season is over.

Comment

On my gs1000 I kept losing a charge. The battery was an older open cell battery but it had never been filled. The bike also came with a box of battery acid.

Luckily before I spent money on a stator etc., I decided I wanted to upgrade to a closed cell battery anyway, so that is what I bought first. That was two seasons ago and I haven't had any charging issues since.
                              82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                              80 gs1000s

Comment

Working...
                              X