gs650g r/r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs650g r/r

so when i installed the gm hei ignitor on my bike last night i think i put the r/r-ignitor ground in the wrong spot, because there was no ground attached to it when i put the bracket with the r/r back in. i think i put it up under the seat with the ground that bolts to the fuse block bracket. my question is, what are the chances that i smoke checked the r/r? it ran like a champ last night and i was going to ride it in to work today, but the bike ended up riding me in in the back of my truck.

." i think i put it up under the seat with the ground that bolts to the fuse block bracket. "

You mean the bolt that holds the fuse box to frame ? Or one of those terminals on fuse box?
    Any bolt into frame is a good ground,but you still should run a jumper from there to battery negative to help R/R see battery.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

one of the bracket to frame bolts. i'm going to take a good look at it when i get home and do the FSM test just to make sure. right now i'm researching r/r's as a just incase type deal if i need to replace the r/r because i was an rtard and forgot the ground which in turn smoke checked it. right now i'm looking at the electrosport industries esr090 r/r. anyone have any experience with these? all i want to know right now is how high of a chance there is i smoke checked this thing. i'm not going to go ahead and replace it or buy a new one until i can confirm the status of this one. it does look like the original so it may have been on it's last leg anyway.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2014, 03:17 PM.

Comment

If bike runs (recharge battery if needed)' then do the Quick Test- this will tell you if you've BBQ something.

Don't buy any R/R other than a series SH-775 or Compufire- the ES units are poor,along with all the other shunt units.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I'm using the Super Series Kit SH775 and I love it. Couldn't be simpler to install. 5 wire hook up. Kind of a pain to fit on side panel but doable. I also upgraded to the Electrosport ESG014 stator. No more charge issues ever. And can run LED's without burning stator etc.

Comment

Most of these old bikes need wiring upgrades/ mods whether or not you opt for series R/R - I'm unsure if these kits are worth the extra money. I just wired the SH-775 to my stator with spades -no extra connectors/plugs to consume space. Plus easy to change out when my stator eventually goes- and it will !
            1981 gs650L

Comment

well i did the ohm check on it, and 35k+ ohms on all steps, 56k+ on the ground check. definitely smoke checked. sh-775 will be ordered/bought

Comment

which polaris model is the sh-775 used on?

Comment

never mind. i found the p/n for it here in one of the threads. could someone link me to the electrical installation?

Comment

With cooling fins up and looking at connectors.
                    3 pin connectors go straight to stator ignoring original wires in harness.
                    Two pins the one on the left is the hot and goes to the original red wire.
                    One on right goes directly to battery - terminal.
                    As told to me.
                    I added a ground to frame also and was later told it was not necessary.
                    I left it on as it should not hurt anything.

Comment

Working...
                    X